Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Error

• Please log in to reply

breknpoint

breknpoint

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This computer had several malware problems. The Malware forum cleared the computer and I have resolved all the problems except Internet Explorer.

Internet explorer will open, quickly close and then give the following error on any website:

Internet Explorer cannot download / from www.msn.com

Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

The computer has network access and a DHCP address. I can move files to and from a network HD. AOL will log on and I can retrieve email, but it will not load any websites and many internal windows will only disply "oops."

I have tried winsock.vb repair utility, sfc /scannow, and reinstall of ie.inf.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you had to download SP2, XP repair will remove it, then when you download SP2, IE will be replaced

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update