Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop keeps shuttingdown

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi! I would be really grateful if someone could give me some advice or idea as to what is wrong with my laptop.

Just recently my laptop seems to be making a loud noise, I'm not very good with laptops so I don't know what it is. Apparently its the fan, it seems to be working well but it keeps overheating and shutting itself down and the top part of my keyboard near the screen is very hot most of the times.

I am not covering the fan so it can breathe and my laptop is 1 year and 3 months old. Apart from it mysteriously shutting down, everything else seems to be fine. Does anyone know how to minimise its activities so it gets hot less? I tend to leave my laptop on for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

MizzLi :tazz:

Advertisements

sleepyboy

sleepyboy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm still waiting for a reply to one of my posts, but while I do that I will tell you this:

...go ahead and get it checked out. You should't be feeling the extra heat on the keyboard, and if it's shutting down this indicates a pretty serious overheating problem. It may be that your fan needs replacing, and having a fan or heatsink on your CPU replaced is a lot less of a pain than having a hard drive or entire laptop replaced.

If you're still concerned about extra heat, laptop cooling units work fairly well. I just googled these up so you can see what they are, and what price range they fall in... http://www.pccasegea...tegory142_1.htm though I can't make any recommendations on individual units or performance.

hope that helps...

(you should also wait for one of the Tech Staff to answer your question. I was just passing through)

Edited by sleepyboy, 12 December 2005 - 03:53 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello MizzLi...

This is almost certainly a heat related issue...very common with laptops.

sleepyboy's advice is sound. You could pick up a can of compressed air and try cleaning the CPU cooler and fan, but if it is making "a loud noise" as you describe, I would have the fan replaced just to be safe.

If you routinely run your laptop for extended periods, sleepyboy's suggestion for a laptop cooler is also a good one. Most run from a USB port and will cause your battery to run down a little quicker, but as long as you are plugged into house current, it would not be a problem and the benefit in extra cooling would be a big one.

wannabe1

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thank you both very much for your replies! :)

I have ebayed some of the cooler fans, will anyone do or is there specific ones which are better than others? I have found:
Fan cooler 1

Fan cooler 2

Fan cooler 3

It is the third fan cooler which I like the most. Any suggestions anyone? :tazz:

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
MizzLi...

I like your choice, too. It puts most of the air circulation under the CPU... :tazz:

wannabe1

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

MizzLi...

I like your choice, too. It puts most of the air circulation under the CPU... :tazz:

wannabe1

Ooopps. I meant this one for the third one, I guess its not as good? It doesn't go under the whole laptop just the top part...

what do you think?preferred laptop cooler

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would be good, too. It still elevates the machine and puts most of the circulation under the CPU area...the price right now is a no-brainer.... :tazz: Better hurry.....

wannabe1

sleepyboy

sleepyboy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
...I might be a little late for this, since it seems to have been an Ebay moment.

For the price you'll be paying on those coolers, if you go wrong, it won't be any great loss. However, they mostly appear to have acrylic (plastic) bodies, which suggest to be that they will pretty much just be circulating air around your laptop. This is still good, and will help dissipate some heat, but the really good laptop coolers have aluminum bodies. Aluminum being the same material which your car's intake manifold is made of, and one that rapidly dissipates heat.

So if you find that the heater you purchased on e-bay doesn't do the job, then move up to one of the aluminum bodied coolers.

But don't forget to get that "noise" in your laptop checked out and make sure that everything is working correctly internally first.

Good luck with it! Cheers!