Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CoD problems

• Please log in to reply

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Just got this game a few days ago, and it's not working very well.

I got into a game today and started playing. After about 5 minutes or so my screen went dead black and about after a minute it started working again, but the lag was unbearable. After a minute of lag, it went black again, but just stayed black.

My computer is rather junky, but I'm pretty sure it exceeds requirments.

AMD 1.1 Ghz
256Mb RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9250

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Darryl!

Have you got the latest drivers for your hardware?
Do you have the latest patch installed?
What resolution and detail level are you running it at?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Check and get the newest video card drivers from ati.

In the call of duty game try turning down the video settings down a tad until it plays better.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have already updated to the latest drivers.

I was running it at the default settings on 1024*768, But I lowered the settings in hope to acheive better performance. It will play for a while now, about 20 minutes or so, then the screen will go black and I get a message about my graphics card. I can get rid of that without too much of a problem and then I get another message about my graphics card drivers have been disabled because they were not responding and I will have to restart. I can easily close that too and continue to play. Occasionaly, my cmputer will completly lock up and need to be restarted while I'm playing tho.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 5.12 catalyst drivers with control centre, if ypu have any options for AA etc. set in catalyst control set them to let application decide, sounds like maybe the card is getting a tad hot, you might try using ATI tool t keep an eye on the temps of the card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I figured what I told you would help some and it seemed to. Try turning down the video card settings more. Look at the filtering and advanced graphics settings.

Sounds like its clashing with your onboard video somehow. Did you disable your onboard video settings in the bios or did you just disable it in the device manager??

You should of disabled it in the bios.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
My brother had installed the card for me, and I'm not quite sure how he dissabled the onboard, but I will dissable it in bios. I will also keep an eye on the temps, and probably pick up a fan or 2 to cool it down if its running hot.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you can watch them using ATI tool, easiest way to do it, if it is borderline hot a simple PCI exhuast blower should give it a bit better temps if they are needed save you drilling holes to mount fans.

Some more ram wouldnt hurt that system and would make CoD play a bit better.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
http://img212.images...shot00010dc.jpg

Never did get around to using the ATI temperature monitor.

But, when I first start playing the game, it runs fine, but after playing for a while, things go weird.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
That got to be from heat more than anything. I dont think that would be drivers because it does fine for awhile you said. Seems more like heat.

If it keeps doing it you might want to get a new video card. That always solves the problem more than anything.

Did you overclock your video card?

Try lowering some more settings and see how much longer it lasts.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
My setting are already as low as possible and I have never overclocked by video card. I'm already looking into a new system as this one is very old and out of date.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
A new video card would be the best thing but you said you are wanting a new pc so thats even better.

Good luck, when your ready picking out a pc come here.