Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - VXD DFS(01) + errors

• Please log in to reply

dvprao

dvprao

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi:
Ever since I installed hijack this and cleanup and perfomred a clean up. few weeks aog,
whenever I double clikc on my computer icon, i get a blue screen of death wiht a fatal exception error message with VXD DFS(01) + on some random memry address.

I deleted some files probably related to a win2000 Pro installation residing on the same dirve / different partition in fat32 format along wiht other files recommended by cleanup program.

I tried searching MS site but of no avail.

I am sure you may have heard about htis kind of problem other users. please help.

I press escape couple of times to back to hte gui but the current program quits ( for example, outlook, anyother program i am using at that time) . Also som eof the progrmas running in the background also get reduced( I can tell by the number of icons in the right hand side bar next to tile clock)

Anyhelp is sincerely apprecited.
REgards
DVP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

mate

mate

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou Keith,

After a good sleep and now with a clear mind rather than the addled one i went to bed with, this easy to follow piece of advice has just allowed to restore my box to its former glory, first thing this morning...

Much Appreciated!

slu77er :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know