Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printer Driver

• Please log in to reply

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I just purchased a new Dell Photo All in One Printer 944. I went to install the new printer and it's saying that it can't find software. After speaking with Dell for over 2 hours, the girl said that it's not the printer it's the operating system and that I would have to call another number. Well I did and since my computer is over a year old my warranty is expired and for them to assist me I would have to purchase a new warranty, which I do not want to do. The girl that I spoke with regarding the printer told me to tell the other tech that The Printer Driver is still not installed. I went to the Dell Support site online and they do not have a driver download for this printer. So now I am asking you for help regarding this.
Thank you
Brenda

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Brenda6072...

Once again, Dell support shows it's worth... :tazz:

Try This Driver from (you guessed it) Dell.

wannabe1

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, that is exactly what the Dell Tech had me do for 2 hours the other day and it didn't work and it still didn't work. When the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up and I press Next I then get a message "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Hopefully we can figure this out.
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Brenda6072...

Ok...what happened when you ran the installer? Did it ask you to plug your printer in and turn it on?

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
When you say Installer do you mean the disk that came with the printer? If so, no it never asked me to. My printer is already connected to the USB port and it is turned on.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to add / remove to uninstall the Dell Software, including the additional jasc paint shop 8? and dell photo studio

Go to control panel, printers, printers and faxes, uninstall it from there

Either:

Run disc clean then click start, run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm for all files, reboot then run disc defragmenter

Install the printer, the printer should be turned off until you see detecting your printer then the green indicators should progress

Choose custom install if you do not want everything installed

OR

Run disc clean then click start, run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm for all files, reboot then run disc defragmenter

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Then install the printer

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial of tune up

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi Keith, ok I uninstalled the Jasc Paint Shop and Dell Photo. There is nothing in Printers & Faxes to uninstall, the only thing there is the fax. I'm not to sure on what you mean "Run disc clean then click start, run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm for all files, reboot then run disc defragmenter
" could you explain in dumb people terms :tazz:
Thank You
Brenda

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click the start button then click all programmes, at the top is accessories, hold the mouse over that until it expands to the right, then in this list is system tools, hold the cursor over that until it expands then click disc clean up. It scan to see what can be cleaned, click more options at the top of the tab, then click clean restore points and confirm and click OK etc. It will then clean the disc

Click start then look for and click Run which is bottom right, that gives you a box with open, the cursor should be flashing in the box, so type prefetch then press enter. This opens a folder, at the top, next to file, click edit, then click select all, this causes all the files to highlight, blue, right click any of the files, click delete and confirm then reboot

Check there are no references to the printer in add / remove

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok Keith, I did all that you said to do, thanks for putting it in terms I could understand. When I rebooted the Found New Hardware Screen came up, so I put the disk in and got the same response, "The Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software" so I took the disk out and when I did a small box came up and asked to insert a disk into Drive E: so I put the disk back in and it came up with a screen with different folders in it, ie:Apps, Drivers,Fax,Inst64,Install, OCR,phapps,pubs,readme,tools and setup with "Setup Launcher" under it. So what now.
Thanks
Brenda

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Set Up Launcher should run the programme, leave the printer off until it shows detecting your printer, switch it on and set up should find the printer

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Well once again that didn't work. I left the printer off until it finished installing software and went to detecting printer, once it got to detecting printer the screen went away and didn't do anything. I went to Control Panel and to Printers & Faxes and the only thing in there was the fax. I then went to System in the Control Panel and then Device Manager and it showed under Other Devices a Yellow ? and a Yellow ! next to the printer 944, which has been the case from day one. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Let me ask you one question. Before I got this printer, I had a previous Dell Printer the AIO 922 so I didn't purchase a new USB cable for this printer I'm using the one that I used on the 922, could this be the problem? HELP!!!
Thanks
Brenda

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Only if the cable is damaged, if you have another USB lead which is attached to something which works, then swap them just to test it

If you click drivers from the CD folder you mentioned, it may have a choice of Windows versions, choose XP

Or you can try the drivers from here (it is a 944??)

http://support.dell....1&fileid=144124

Ahead of that, go to add / remove gain to check there isn't anything for the printer, then click start then search, type Dell and send anything with DEll to the recycle bin then reboot

Then run Tune Up REGISTRY cleaner, not disc clean up because you need to leave the deleted Dell files in the recycle bin for a bit to check they haven't removed anything else, unlikely, but just to be safe

Then the printer should install, it is a large file to download but there could be something wrong with the CD

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Keith I found 158 Files with the Dell name in it, am I suppose to delete all of them? Actually some I can't delete because it says Cannot Delete File:Cannot Read from the source file or disk. I'm just stuck here and this is not fun.
Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install MoveOnBoot

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

See if you can select a few files at a go then use move on boot to get rid, if not, click start, click my computer, double click , local drive C you will need to ignore the warning about opening, double click programme files, ignore the similar warning, locate the Dell folder and use MoveOnBoot to remove it

Run Tune Up disc clean up and reg clean up