Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing a printer

• Please log in to reply

momfor5

momfor5

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I bought a new printer and didn't like it so I uninstalled it and wanted to reinstall my old printer(lexmark
p122) back on my computer , but every time I try to install it it says The file you are trying to open is already being used by another program. please close the other program and try again. I don't have any program going. I hope you can help. This printer was on my computer before.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Was the new printer Lexmark

Did you uninstall all the associated software such as photo software from add / remove and also remove the printer from printers

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes the new printer was a lexmark. I did remove everthing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those deal with checking for obsolete files etc and it will be worth having a go at installing the printer now

The next bits are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just went out and bought an HP printing and it installed fine. But when I tried to optimize the computer it ((the program Tune Up )said It didn't have enough memory. There is this one file (Dir0) I think it is just pictures if I try to delete it says it is to big to be deleted, So I not sure what to do.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it say too big for the recycle bin do you want to permanently delete it

If you right click the file, then click Tune Up shredder does that remove it

Either way, make sure you do not need the file

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I think it is just pics but not sure is there somthing that could let me know if I can delete it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is a folder, right click the folder then click explore

If it is a single file, right click it then click properties to see how big and anything else

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
it is 32.5 GB

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I've seen smaller partitions :tazz:

Have you got a Norton Protected Recycle Bin

Did explore just give the size

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I did have Norton but it never would scan that dir so I uninstalled it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got all you data backed up

If so, and you do not want the file, let tune up shredder deal with it, though it will be a few hours, so when you have finished with the PC, check tune up starts shredding it then let it run overnight

Having your data backed up is in case it was a necessary file, though properties should at least say the file type and the programme which opens it