Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing predefined internet hotkeys to media keys

• Please log in to reply

Gamil

Gamil

• Pip
  • 7 posts
wish forums had a save option, so many times i've been intertupted, and had to try to save what i've typed to something else.

Hi. My old keyboard had nice hotkeys that provided me with the ability to pause, play, change song, stop, mute, change volume and even just bring up the calculator all without leaving any application. However, for the buttons to work on anything but WMP i had to have it on top, but i could be in the middle of a game or any app and be able to control my media, without having to have in up on the screen. That keyboard died a week ago, and now my new keyboard a WolfClaw II, which only has internet hotkeys. I never use them since when i am browsing the internet, i can readily use the normal shortcuts. I have been searchign everywhere on how to do this, but the only ways i have found are to download apps, and i just don't like to download that kind of program for security reasons, and that if I use them they may change my setup such that i can't use my keyboard without them.

I am the kind of person who can't focus unless i have some kind of distracting background noise that distracts me from distractions, and so i ignore all other distractions that might take me off task. even just writing this is hard for me since my parents surprise me and enter my room occasionally, and they don't like the music i do, and yell at me because of it, even though it can't be heard past my door, and as such i need to have fast music control so that they don't get pissed off.

I also have a problem. My PC (windows xp pro sp1a) crashed, and when it was at 68% done with dumping the physical memory to the HD, it restarted (on its own i did not turn it off since i already know that doing so would be BAD VERY BAD and i was right). When it was rebooting it displayed "Disk read error, press Ctrl+alt+Del to restart". When when i tried to instal windows on my HD, setup got to the screen that said "Setup is inspection you hardware configuration" then froze, that message did not even leave teh screen after 10 minutes in the hopes that maybe windows was just being itself and crashing before it was even installed. But NO, this happened EVERY time. Luckily i had already ordered a back up HD, so my pc was only out of commision for 2 days. but when i put in the new HD i had to change the priority so that the new one was primary, because the old one would still prevent windows setup from launching. after i got windows set up on the new HD, any attempt to access the old HD resulted in the message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I have been meaning to attempt to use Knoppix to access the drive, but i jsut have no idea how to use knoppix, and i don't feel like screwing my PC up anymore. I don't want to partition the old HD because i have important school data on it.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
AutoHotkey is a simple yet powerful hotkey (shortcut key) scripting language for Windows. You can customize your keyboard, joystick and mouse with a free automation tool that is backward compatible with AutoIt v2. Make any key, mouse/joystick button, or combination into a hotkey. Create custom GUI windows and menu bars. Automate almost anything: Send keystrokes & mouse clicks; launch programs/documents; work with the clipboard, registry, & soundcard settings. Includes quick-start tutorial, automatic script writer, and comprehensive help file.

This tool is very handy for automating repetitive tasks and creating hotkeys that aren't limited to combinations allowed by Windows.

Those new to scripting will want to read The tutorial at the author's site. It is easy to read and very helpful.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

http://www.autohotke...cs/Tutorial.htm

For Knoppix forum

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/

Gamil

Gamil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
please note i said i don't want to use programs to do this, but thanks for at least responding.

Edited by Gamil, 13 December 2005 - 05:28 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a straight choice between a keyboard with hotkeys, or a programme which lets you change the current set up for the keyboard

Gamil

Gamil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it appears from your description of AutoHotKey, that what it does is generate script to place into the registry, and edit those files that need to be, but can't be edited with simple script. all the other stuff is just fluff and options to put into the script. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why it has to edit a file itself, is to tell a driver to open and follow the scripts that it generates which the user simply places into the registry. personally i'd rather use my java experience and using MSDN, write my own scripts. Especially since i have already found many pages on MSDN that provide the script for this. Just need to learn it.

Edited by Gamil, 15 December 2005 - 10:20 PM.

Gamil

Gamil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
WEll, i downloaded AutoHotKeys, it works nicely. Found out that if you set one ofthe keys to minimize, and you are on the desktop, a frame will appear from nowhere, named "Program Manager" doe this windows animation of it minimizing to the taskbar, and a little gray box will then be permanently on the desktop. I am assuming the "Program Manager" window is always there, but all you see is what is inside the manager. then if you minimize again, the taskbar attempts to minimize, but luckiliy it just pops riight back up. It is more likely explorer.exe which is the UI for windows. I don't like that i have to have AutoHotKEys running for the editted hotkey to work, which is precisely why i did not want to use a third party program. But thanks anyways, it's better than nothing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you can elect the keys, I haven't used it but assume you can debar keys from running, it is OK for a freebie. If I see anything better then I will PM you with the details