Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email download problem OE and Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply

vlad71

vlad71

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Today, out of the blue I started having the following problems:

Outlook Express "hung" while trying to download a new email. The mail it was trying to download was only 3K in size with no attachments. I waited up to 10 minutes and the progress bar barely moved. I canceled out of OE and the entire system ran at snail speed until reboot. I tried looking at the email directly on my mail server and could not see it...the Comcast mailbox was showing no Inbox and no messages. I then rebooted and checked the Comcast server right away after boot and I could see the email. Through repeated testing I found that OE would hang on ANY email it tried to download (I have 4 accounts). Once I open OE the system crawls afterwards and I cannot see the mails on the Comcast server. If I don't open OE, then I CAN see the emails on the Comcast server. I thought that the problem was with OE so I installed Thunderbird and got the same results. Also, during the many reboots over the last few hours I have had several TSR's crash on boot (Window Washer, FreeRam XP Pro) and just 10 minutes ago the system rebooted while I was on Google. I've moved all important stuff off of my C: drive just to be safe.

I have run House Call, Pest Patrol, Ad-aware and Spybot - no problems found. Hijack this looks ok.
Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Advertisements

vlad71

vlad71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Resolved. Problem was with ISP, not my system.