Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A couple of questions

• Please log in to reply

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
1.My computer has an AGP connector data width of 32 bits. If I buy a video card with a memory interface of 64 bits and install it, will it not be compatible or will the potential of the video card just be shrunk in half?

2.This is my current computer: http://reviews-zdnet...6-21204144.html

I plan on buying a bigger case so i can upgrade it and all. Here in my guidebook, it says my agp connector can handle 1 low profile video card. My computer is small (needing a low profile card an all) , but if I upgrade to a full size case, could I fit a full size card then?

The thing is, I'm just trying to play Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source on my computer and I currently average 5 fps :tazz: I need some help to make it playable and i'm on a budget. =\

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you can run sysspec and post up your specs, CPU-Z can tell you what kind of AGP slot you have(eg 2x, 4x, 8x). Post it up and we can look it over and tell you what you can upgrade to.

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, here is what sysspecs told me:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 510 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Speed: 2354.7 MHz
Sound card: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Display Adapters: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
CD / DVD: D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4241N | E: Generic DVD-ROM | H: Generic DVD-ROM | I: Generic DVD-ROM | J: Generic DVD-ROM |
Default Printer: hp photosmart 7900 series
COM Ports: COM3 |
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 74.5GB | F: 76.3GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 33.9GB | F: 35.2GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product Make: Dimension 4600C
Serial Number: 972XL31
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/21/03 | DELL - 7 | |
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time

And I have an AGP 1x, 4x, and 8x slot.

And if I'm going to upgrade my computer, everything combined will have to be under $200.

Edited by Raymond-Online, 13 December 2005 - 06:08 PM.