Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer detects nonexistent hardware

• Please log in to reply

Daryl

Daryl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I once had a phone "modem installed in my WinME computer, before going to cable service. After uninstalling it in Control Panel, as well as PHYSICALLY REMOVING the modem, the computer still detects the modem when switching it on, which pauses the bootup process while it asks me whether to install it or not.

I would like for the computer not to detect this nonexistent modem. Advice would be appreciated.

(((Now some accompanying info. I can avoid the bootup messages by "installing" the modem, but I think my computer then runs a bit slower. It's also a fact that when I physically reinstalled the modem, and tried to run it, I got modem unrecognized errors - I have since thrown away the modem which I no longer need. Finally, in Device Manager, when the modem was physically not present, there is still a WDM Modem Enumerator listed; deleting this and the modem (a question mark entry in Device Manager) does not solve the problem.)))

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
A couple of things to check... first, make sure there's nothing in an autoexec.bat or config.sys file that might be making some call or driver request for the modem.

Two, and probably closer to right, you might have a program loading that looks for the modem, can't find it, then gives the error causing the prompt to install it. My guess would be possibly some sort of fax software still installed.

Click Start/Run, then type msconfig and click OK. Go to the startups tab and see if there is any sort of fax software loading automatically... if there is, it's safe to take the check mark out of that line, and then ok your way out and rboot

Daryl

Daryl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Tim. Nothing in the startup menu that looks like a fax program; I have spent time trying to understand the gobblegook in there and slimming it down.

autoexec.bat is short and free from modem mentions. config.sys file has no contents. (This from the dos prompt in WinME, using "edit config.sys" after finding the directory, whether windows or just c:\

Am I on the right track? Any other files to look in - win.ini ??? Don't assume I know much about this.