Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP PC Booting problem

• Please log in to reply

Gmander

Gmander

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Came to the PC a few nights ago and the screen was black with the following: :tazz:

"CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 08 74 C2 5A AE GUID: 44454C4C-4E00-1042-9039-C3C04F443231 PXE-E53: NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED
PXE-M0F: EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM
NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED
INSERT SYSTEM DISK: " (ETC)

I inserted original system disk with windows xp, did the "repair"
It worked except for the following problems. Screen resolution was low and I reinstalled the video drivers from the original resource cd. Fisrt time I did this the system rebooted and everything was normal. BUT since then when I had to reload various drivers and reboot, the same problem occured (no boot device error) So I've done this whole process several times already, but there is still the problem with restarting the PC

Any idea on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Gmander[size=1]

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Just a stab in the dark here, but I've run into problems in the past with a sata drive not booting when in the BIOS its set to pretend to be Primaray ATA master and windows thinks (perhaps after drivers) that it should be booting from a scsi device. Also the BIOS screen you mentioned is trying to boot from a network, so I'd take a quick look at the boot order.

Gmander

Gmander

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for reply. It's a lttle over my head. What is a sata drive? I do have 2 hard drives (C and E) E was the added one. How do I check the BIOS and correct that?

gman

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
reboot your computer and press del (sometimes f2) repeatedly during boot up to enter your bios configuration....find the section related to boot order...make sure that "boot to network" or "PXE boot" or something to that effect, is not first....your boot order should be either cd-rom, then hard drive, then anything else...or hard drive, cd-rom, anything else....if you find a setting that says something about disabling pxe boot...disable that