Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony Spybot Warning?

• Please log in to reply

CEB1961

CEB1961

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just received this email. Has anyone else heard about this and if it is true should we worry about it? Thanks so much for your attention to this and any suggestions!...

"I recently read an article in USA Today -- explaining that if one gets a musical CD put out by Sony -- and trys to play it on his/her computer -- a box will come up telling you that you have to install this certain player to make the CD work. Sound harmless? It's NOT! This problem has been discussed in 50&Fantastic and other mIRC channels. Sony in it's infinite wisdom tried to get smart by installing a spybot to help prevent pirating and other things. This Bot, known as a ROOTKIT, installs on your hard drive into your registry, etc. It not only shows Sony your habits, it also contains bits that allow hackers access to your computer. I am not a computer genius so I don't know how to truly explain this in computerize. I just know that everyone loves music and if you buy a cd by Sony -- DO NOT install the player. The below explains a lot. As of right now -- there is no way to remove this from your computer, if you remove the rootkit -- it still leaves parts of it behind that are very serious. If you have installed it -- know that you are among countless others who have unknowingly done the same. At this time no one knows what will happen. Sony is working on something -- as are Mcafee and Norton and others. Please be careful -- and please pass this along to your email friends. IF you have purchased one of these and installed -- return the CD to the place of business you bought it from and ask for a refund. This may be the only way to get Sony to stand up and listen."

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved your thread because it is not a comment or suggestion.

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=80238

The search feature of the forum is quite nice.

ScHwErV :tazz:

CEB1961

CEB1961

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
SO sorry! I am new to this. I will know better next time. Thanks for your help.