Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow machine

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hi people. ive got a dell 4600, 3.2ghz pro with 2 gig ddr ram. can anyone tell me why my computer seems to be running slowly? particularly when ive got footie manager running, if i have msn and winamp open with a browser too it just can not handle it and everything goes really slowly, and my 2d match engine stutters something awful!!!

ive tried running spybot and adaware and they cleaned the system out but still no better.

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Since you seem to be having enough RAM, next thing to check would be whether your drive's running out of space and also analyze the fragmentation levels. i would suggest you run a disk cleanup anyways and then defragment the drive coz a cluttered drive can slow file access and program response. Also limit items loading at boot. Also possible ur system is still infected. Try this first and post back.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey thanks. i was wondering if it was anything to do with having too much ram?? ive got 4gb free in a 40gb drive. could that be the problem? i just didnt think that would make my game run slowly. ive disabled almost everything from the launch at startup. ill go home and defrag and try that.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i dont think thats enough free space for the defragger to work on, it needs atleast 15% free space for the defragger to move the non contiguous chunks around and if u have never done it, its gonna take a long time. Also run chkdsk bfore the defrag. if u need to free up space, run the disk cleanup utility. Post back after that.
some links u cud check in the meantime
http://www3.telus.ne...mar/slowcom.htm
http://www.microsoft...ted/speed.mspx/

Edited by dagger, 13 December 2005 - 10:08 AM.