Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

from wireless to wired

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
im currently using wireless connection.. im thinking of changing to a wired one... so do i just purchase the wire and connect it from the server's modem to my cpu? that is all i have to do? do i need to configure anything?

also, below is wad i believe might help in the understanding... if there are other programs that provides u with more info on my comp, let me know and i'll paste the result here... thx

Communications
EZ Connect 11 Mbps Wireless USB Adapter
VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Card MAC Address: xx:xx4:xx:xx:xx:xx
Network IP Address: 192.168.2.101 / 24

Advertisements

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
if you only have one computer, then yes, you would run a cat5e patch cable from the cable or dsl modem, to a NIC (network interface card) installed in your computer. You probably already have one, the connector looks like a really big phone line connector. You may need to configure the connection, but usually windows xp will recognize what's going on and install the necessary drivers for you.

If you have more than one computer that connects to the net through the one modem, then you need a router, or in a simpler case, two nic's installed on the first computer that connects to the modem (this computer then uses microsoft's shared connection driver to act as a router, and another computer can connect to the main one via the second installed NIC via a cat5e crossover cable). While it's possible to have several NIC's for several connections using the main computer as a router, the usual solution is to use the second NIC to connect a simple hub, then several computers can connect to the hub, into the main computer, and all share internet access. The only drawback of course is the main computer has to be on and connected before the others can connect (this is the advantage of using a real hub, all computers are wired to the modem, so, any one computer can be on and still connect).

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
hmm, right now i've 2 computers connecting to the internet... let me give u the scenerio...

currently, my bro is connected directly to the modem, and im using the wireless in the next room... i've an ethernet card which i know is a must if i were to wired my connection... i have a router right now since im using the wireless

from wad i understand, as long as i buy a cable wire and attach one end to the router and the other end to my cpu, i'll be able to use the internet right away, provided i install my modem's driver in my comp.

is that the case?

also, i heard that there are two types of cable, one being direct cable, and the other cross cable... am i right to say i should get the direct cable instead of the cross cable?

furthermore, i was told by using the above method, i can access to the internet without having to turn on my bro's computer...

Lastly, is there a webpage that teaches me about changing a wireless connection to a wired one? cos i have no idea wad other stuffs i still need to configure or even purchase...

thx bro, its long here i understand =p but im gonna buy the cable in 2 days time and i wanna make sure i do all the buying in one trip and get it over and done with...

thx alot =)

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Well, if you have a router it has to be connected directly to the modem (dsl or cable), then both your computers would connect to the router. This can get tricky, so, you'll need to read your router instructions carefully (especially the parts about assigned or automatic ip's, and the wirewall).

And yes, you'd both need just the standard cat5e patch cable (not the crossover cable). This is the only way to connect without having both computers on. If your brother's computer is connected to the modem, then the router to his computer on a second NIC, his computer would still need to be on, and you'd negate the whole purpose of the router.

Most of the changes would have to be made to his computer since he probably has the NIC connection he connects to the modem with assigned to 'share' an internet connection.

Now, all of this assumes it's not a standard phone modem you're talking about (I believe you mentioned DSL at some point). If your brother has to dial a standard phone modem for the connection, then the cheapest and easiest way to connect is as I mentioned in the above post (using a cat5e crossover cable). A router would just be added equipment that is not needed in the chain.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ya, im using adsl... ok so just to confirm...

"from wad i understand, as long as i buy a cable(direct cable) wire and attach one end to the router and the other end to my cpu, i'll be able to use the internet right away, provided i install my modem's driver in my comp."

"furthermore, i was told by using the above method, i can access to the internet without having to turn on my bro's computer..."

for both the above quotes, im right on them?

btw, do u think theres a guide on this? i might need some reference especially if i cant get get connected online and need some help troubleshooting

thx

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
The router has to be between you and the modem... and between your brother's computer and the modem... as long as that's the idea you have, you're ok :-)

You should have most of this info in the manual that came with your router, since a lot of it is router specific. If you don't have the manual, just find the router's website, there should be an online manual for it

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
alrite, c00l bro, thx alot... im gonna buy the cable later in the day =)