Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost contact to a harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Smolf

Smolf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Any ideas anyone?
Windows doesn't see it.
BIOS can't autodetect it.
I've checked the flat-cabels + power. They're both fine.
Any ideas are very much appriciated. I've installed Firefox on that drive and for the first time in years i've used IE at home and its killing me.
There are a few things there which i haven't gotten a backup off which i'll miss a bit.
Also, my virusscanner is there....
*suddenly looks uneasy*

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so is this a secondary drive or a primary drive?

you say it's not recognized in bios at all?
how is it jumpered?
what happens if you put the drive in a nother machine?
does it sound like the drive is spinning up at all?

Smolf

Smolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
BIOS doesn't see anything as for that hdd. Looks exactly like my primary slave which is empty purposly. my dvd drive is reachable from BIOS, but not from windows.
my primary master(boot drive) is perfect.
The drive i'm after is secondary slave.
I've not changed the jumpers since i plugged it in 4 moths ago, and it's been completly fine and stable.
It sounds like its not spinning.
I don't have any other machines handy atm, but I will thursday afternoon. I'll test then.

I've had motherboard trouble before and for that reason i've gotten 2 other cards to do what it did badly: graphix and sound.

Could it be a motherboard issue?

Edited by Smolf, 13 December 2005 - 03:52 PM.

Smolf

Smolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:) A good nights sleep was all it took... :)
it's gotta be my motherboard...... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is deffinitely possible that it's a motherboard issue....i would test the drive out in a new machine before coming to that conclusion though..

Smolf

Smolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
some S.M.A.R.T. feature in BIOS gave me a message saying my secondary slave would fail pretty soon and that I should take backup. As requested as done.
When i unplugged it i realised it was a deathstar.
Who am I to complain? it held good over two years... Bro's got a spare harddrive, so all's good. I'm still pretty sure my motherboard is crap, but i don't think these two are related.
All's well. :tazz: thanks for the inital extreemly fast reply dsenette. Probs to this place. :)