Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

agp440.sys problem with a twist

• Please log in to reply

meltfast

meltfast

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, sorry for making a topic about a somewhat old problem. I posted my problem in another thread, but it seems to have vanished, so I guess it's better to do it this. Again, sorry for any inconvienences.

Anyway, here's the basis of what I posted originally. (I'm so glad I save everything I post for reference)

As with everyone else my PC halts on agp440.sys at startup. However, I understand why and how to fix it. The real problem for me is that I have no windows CD and thus no way to go to recovery console. If you're curious, it's because I have a student license of XP pro... I can install it, but I can't keep the CD (has to be returned to the student computing office). I've checked around and the offices are closed (end of the semester) and no one I know has a Windows CD on hand; it's like a bad joke or something. Anyway, I'm stuck trying to figure out a solution sans CD.

I've thought about slaving my HDD to another computer and then performing a little manual surgery, but I'm not sure exactly how or what to excise. The only thing I've really been able to come up with is to literally rename the apg440.sys file in system32/drivers, but I figure that'll probably create even more problems. I can't seem to find an option to disable it in registry either, though it would just affect the current windows not the one I've slaved, right?

Anyway, any thoughts on how to get around this problem? I know, I know, annoying, but what can I do. Thanks kindly for any help offered up.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...mb_tol_kfma.asp

if you can boot to safe mode with command prompt you can use the steps on how to install the recovery console from the cd...instead of trying to go from the cd...you can run this from the i386 folder on your machine...if you have such a folder...if you can't boot into safe mode..you could use a 98 bootdisk to get to a command prompt

meltfast

meltfast

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you kindly for the response. I figured people were just laughing this off, it's nice to get a response.

Unfortunately, while I do have i386 folder I can not boot in safe mode nor do I have a disk drive. Really it's funny. Still I'll mess around with this, maybe I can borrow someone else's disk drive. I'd still need a windows disk, but I imagine I can find that pretty easily on the net. Would have been nice if the MS rep had told me about this in the first place, but nope on and on about how I have to pay up to fix this problem. I really don't want to give MS the satisfaction of knowing they can be responsible for a problem and have the consumer pay for the fix. Just a drop in the ocean, though, eh?

Again, many thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...if you can get to a command prompt...you can install the recovery console from the i386 folder...shouldn't need a cd

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
you can get to the recovery console with a set of XP boot disks. Microsoft still has the program for download to make the 6 set of floppy disks.

from the computerhope webpage.

How to get into Windows XP recovery console without a Windows XP CD.

Additional Information:

Users who have purchased their computer from an OEM or with a pre-installed version of Microsoft Windows XP may get a Recovery CD or another non Microsoft Windows XP CD. Unfortunately these CD's often do not have the recovery console feature found with the standard Microsoft Windows XP CD.

* See document CH000627 for additional information and help with using the Windows 2000 and Windows XP recovery console.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000627.htm

Answer:

Because not all recovery CD's provided by OEM's provide access to the recovery console Microsoft has made a set of boot disks that can be downloaded and used to get into the recovery console.

http://www.microsoft...05-719F45C382A4

SRX660

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks spx..that's really the instructions i was looking for...but couldn't find them