Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Dell Optiplex GX240 processer upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Woodsplitter

Woodsplitter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm trying to upgrade processor on GX240 from 1.5 G to 2.26G, basically upgrading to a 260. I'm getting error: "Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Vcls]. For help.....note checkpoint and contact Dell tech support".

Then immediately following is a memory read/write failure and memory address failure, but I don't know if it's referring to the CPU cache or the DIMM. It says "Memorywrite/read failure at 0FF900000, read F916C716 expecting F916F916 Memory address line failure at 0FF900000, read F916F916 expecting 06060606".

Socket N is the same on both CPU processor chips, and BIOS is supposed to auto-recognize upgrade.

I suppose I could trade out the memory module and see if the problem goes away, but figured I'd check here as well. It's a 256 MB Infineon SDRAM chip that came with the Dell. Any insight appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to do a reinstall of windows whenever you change any major hardware.

Woodsplitter

Woodsplitter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, reloading Windows is on the agenda, but that has nothing to do with the POST hardware problem I described. This is all pre-operating system loading...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Didnt really read it sorry was pretending to study for an exam at the time. Sounds a ram problem, but sounds as much like a dell problem they dont like you upgrading and can occasionaly get the bios altered to make it more difficult. I would try swapping the ram out, you could really do with some new ram as well 512mb is pretty cheap these days.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

"Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Vcls]. For help.....note checkpoint and contact Dell tech support".

It says "Memorywrite/read failure at 0FF900000, read F916C716 expecting F916F916 Memory address line failure at 0FF900000, read F916F916 expecting 06060606".

Hello there,

I am having a similar problem. I have a old dell computer. I just tried to upgrade the sd ram 126 to 256. The computer only has two slots for ram. I wanted to pull out the two 126's and replace them with two 256's. I did this, but when I rebooted the computer, it had some problems. It said something about log I think, and that it got it from some place else? I can't quite remember. It must of changed some settings.

Anyway after this it seemed to work fine for about 30 minutes. I noticed that it was a lot quicker, and I was pleased. But when I restarted it, from that point forward it wouldn't reboot. It said some error like the one from a couple of posts above. It also said to contact Dell because of [Vcls] error.

I tried putting back my two old 126 rams, but it still won't reboot. It is like something changed because of the new ram, and now it doesn't know how to read it or reload it or something? I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: I am running Windows xp

Edited by eastwindrain, 04 July 2008 - 09:35 PM.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
How do I enable the computer to reboot, then how do I reset the settings to be compatible with the new ram? (The new ram did work until I restarted the computer. It was nice and fast for surfing the net) Can anybody help?

Edited by eastwindrain, 04 July 2008 - 10:02 PM.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I would like to try to repair my operating system. I now have a windows xp repair cd. However I don't know how to get my computer to read the cd? I keep getting a black screen with either "las known good configuration your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows normally

After I pick one, it then goes to a blue screen

Help.

I believe I could repair the operating system if I knew how to start it. Any suggestions?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't think your upgrade will work because the 240 has a 400mhz front side bus and the chip you are putting in has a 533mhz front side bus. Also the 240 uses PCI133 memory.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I don't think your upgrade will work because the 240 has a 400mhz front side bus and the chip you are putting in has a 533mhz front side bus. Also the 240 uses PCI133 memory.

I think it was working fine with one 128 and one 256, but I wanted two 256's. I would be happy to get it back to one 126 and one 256, but I can't get the computer to boot off of the cd. I tried changing sequence order, but still nothing. (by hitting f2 and then the space bar and +, - , then Esc to save the changes)

1. I need to repair the operating system (but it is not booting off of the cd)
2. I need the computer to work with one 126 and one 256 (two 256's would be better) (heck even the original two 126's would be fine at this point)

Any other suggestions? I tried phoning dell, but he wasn't much help, for it is a used computer. It is a DHM if that helps.

I would be willing to reinstall the whole thing and wipe it clean, but how do I do this if it doesn't boot up off the repair CD?

Edit: I would like to be able to get to the point where the computer says "Press any key to boot off the CD" but I have not seen this message.

Edited by eastwindrain, 05 July 2008 - 07:22 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try F2 on boot to enter the bios. My dell GX1 uses that. Then change the boot order.

Advertisements

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Try F2 on boot to enter the bios. My dell GX1 uses that. Then change the boot order.

I tried this. It didn't seem to help. Was I doing it correctly?

The order of sequence was:

IDE
Hard
Diskette

I tried all sorts of combinations like:

IDE
Diskette
Hard

I selected save changes, then the option of "start windows normally" (something like that)

It would start running for a few seconds then the blue screen would pop up and it would quit. I can't seem to get around this. I don't know much about computers obviously, but this is very frustrating. Why won't my tower boot off of the repair disk? Thanks for your help. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

IDE
Hard
Diskette

IDE
Diskette
Hard

You do not have a CD drive listed. The bios is not finding 1. That is why you can't boot from cd. If you feel comfortable in doing this, open the case and check to be sure the cables are seated in the CD and on the board. You may have a bad CD drive also.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

IDE
Hard
Diskette

IDE
Diskette
Hard

You do not have a CD drive listed. The bios is not finding 1. That is why you can't boot from cd. If you feel comfortable in doing this, open the case and check to be sure the cables are seated in the CD and on the board. You may have a bad CD drive also.

This is the current sequence of the boot order:

(a check mark) 1. IDE CD-ROM Device (this one is the CD drive right? I abbreviated above)
(a check mark) 2. Hard-Disk Drive C:
(a check mark) 3. Diskette Drive

Anything else you can think of. I believe the CD drive is working for when I go into SAFE mode the CD drive really spins for about 8 seconds or so, then blue screen.

Edit I do have a DVD burner drive installed in the tower as well, but I haven't really been using it. The IDE CD-ROM Device isn't referring to my DVD burner drive is it? I don't think so.

Edited by eastwindrain, 06 July 2008 - 06:23 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok, you have a cd listed and the sequence is correct. Just try another bootable cd. Does not matter what kind. This is just to test the drive. Maybe the drive won't read the cd. I have that problem all the time with certain cd's and certain drives.

eastwindrain

eastwindrain

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Ok, you have a cd listed and the sequence is correct. Just try another bootable cd. Does not matter what kind. This is just to test the drive. Maybe the drive won't read the cd. I have that problem all the time with certain cd's and certain drives.

Well I just tried that. And no go. I put in my CD for my printer. The same thing happens. It starts to load windows thru "start windows normally" for about 20 seconds, then the CD drive starts to spin fairly fast for about 1 second, then BAM, Blue Screen and the CD drive stops. (The blue screen only stays blue for about 2 seconds) I feel like doing what your avatar suggests.

My tower looks like this. It is a Dell DMH

Posted Image

Edited by eastwindrain, 06 July 2008 - 07:24 PM.