Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help

• Please log in to reply

neji

neji

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi. windows automatic updates downloaded and installed sp2 and and then i started getting alot of missing dll errors and programs that didn't work because of missing files, etc so i uninstalled the sp2 and now whenever i start my computer it sticks for about 3 - 5 mins at the start up screen (not the windows loading screen) before it finally shows my desktop. can u help me please

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Removing SP2 with add / remove can cause a number of programmes to stop working correctly, as shown in the warning boxes during the uninstall of SP2

A better way is to run XP Repair, which removes SP2 and all Microsoft Updates but in a way that the Operating System can run the installed programmes

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

neji

neji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok thanx keith