Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Aspect ratio problem NTSC disc

• Please log in to reply

ozharp66

ozharp66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help from a DVD expert, with an aspect ratio problem. Are you out there?

I have a widescreen (Schneider) TV and a Panasonic DVD all-region player that plays NTSC and PAL. No problem with PAL DVDs - aspect ratio always correct. Just purchased an NTSC 16:9 DVD disc (anamorphic). The bummer is that the picture locks into 4:3 and can't be changed by TV aspect ratio selector! DVD player is set to 16:9 and NTSC output (PAL 60 makes picture turn B&W). Can get widescreen picture by changing player to letterbox, but picture is small and surrounded on all 4 sides by black bars.

Tested DVD on friend's widescreen TV (projector) - displays OK there as 16:9 full screen. Checked my other NTSC 4:3 DVDs on my TV - they also "lock in" to 4:3 and can't change ratio (zoom etc). Of course that doesn't matter with them, but it does matter with the 16:9 disc.

So aspect ratio seems to relate disc being NTSC and I haven't yet isolated whether the TV or the DVD player is the problem. At this stage though, any ideas?

Advertisements