Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

preventing the problem

• Please log in to reply

hyeone

hyeone

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
sometime last month, the worst possible thing happened...i lost my hard drive. i felt like i lost a part of me. i had A LOT of prized possesions on it not to mention things i could never retain again.

to my point, is there any way i can prevent this from happening again? maybe turning off my pc more than i use to(i usually leave it on, most of the time, turn it off like once or twice a week) i know i had like 14gig of memory left before it went down on me, so that might be a factor.
any help is appriciated...

here is the link to my previous problem
http://www.geekstogo...topic=80318&hl=

Edited by hyeone, 13 December 2005 - 07:57 PM.

Advertisements

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
bump

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Turned it off once or twice a week??? Jeez, it must have overheated it's heart out. There are arguments about leaving it on or not, but think about it: Many of the components are similar to a TV. Don't you turn the TV on and off repeatedly? Computers need a break, especially nowadays with heat being a major concern.

Turn it off when you're not using it, this could prevent it from happening again. And consider buying an external hard drive to back up data every now and then.

hyeone

hyeone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
external hard drive is on the top of my christmas list. thanks...