Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Scanjet reinstalling error?

• Please log in to reply

Soarer

Soarer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was having a problem with picture feeder on my HP Scanjet 5500c scanner. I contacted HP support and was told to uninstall all of my HP software (printer & scanner). I was then told to delete the HP1 & HP2 files from my computer. I have now reinstalled the printer and scanner software, but when I try to open DIRECTOR, i get an error.......The file c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Skins\hp1\skin.xml does not exist. I have been in contact with HP support on numerous occaisions and it seems as though they can't even help me. I can run a scan from within the camera wizard. It seems as though I need the SKIN.XML file. HP won't tell me how if that is an original file from my computer (which is also HP) or if it is a software file. I reinstalled the software from the HP site. I am going craaaazy with this. It has been 3 weeks since my initial contact with HP. Any help anyone? Thanks for your input.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
HP Scanjet 5500c scanner Problem
14th Dec-2005

How did you [Uninstall] the HP Software – Did you use [Control Panel] or [Device Manager] or was there an [Uninstall Program] –

Do you have the [Installation CD] for this device –

What is the Make & Model Number of Printer – Do you have Installation CD for Printer –

Can you use [Printer] and can you use [Scanner] – Not sure what problem to help with –

These problems occur if the [Uninstall Process] was incomplete – so let’s see what [Device Manager] has listed – but 1st we must prepare [Device Manager] to show its History –

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that
needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Browse thru – you need to Expand Folders & either Left Double Click or Right Click all lines to see more info – you are now looking for the – [Muted/faded gray] Devices with Yellow Warning Signs or have a Bold repeated instance of same name – Do not concern yourself with [Non Plug & Play] Devices –

Expand all folders that are associated with – [Scanner/Imaging] – [Printer] – USB Host Controllers – USB Printer Support –

[Device Manager] is now able to show all the HP Items that did not get Uninstalled – They will be the [Faded Grey] Items -

In the meantime I will look up specs of scanner – and investigate those HP Files -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 14 December 2005 - 09:52 PM.

Soarer

Soarer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,
Thanks for the help. I uninstalled HP Scanjet from the control panel where it no longer shows. After completing the stepd you provided, HP SCANJET still shows in device manager. HP DESKJET (%@C works fine now. After initially uninstalling and trying to reinstall the scanner software, I get an error when I try to open HP DIRECTOR, The file c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Skins\hp1\skin.xml does not exist.
I have contacted HP SUPPORT several times and have spent several hours trying to fix this problem, but no luck. I find it frustrating that HP technical support cannot help me with this problem. Your assistance is in great need and of course, greatly appreciated.
Todd

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
HP Scanjet 5500c scanner Problem [#2]
24th Jan 2006

Hello,
You responded to my post, thank you. Can you assist me any further? I replied to your reply, maybe I did it wrong.

Happy New Year – I do not know what happened – I guess when I subscribed to your – [Post] – I did not check – [Immediate Notification] & somehow I missed receiving notification of your Post – And your Topic was – [Pruned] – from – Subscribed Topics – in My Controls – After 14 Days – Plus I changed my – [IP] – from Dialup to DSL – Anyway – I missed the Notification of your reply on – 15th Jan 2006

Your assistance is in great need and of course, greatly appreciated.

I apologize for not following up on – [End of Year – 2005 Posts] - Here are some links for your Scanner - that you can Browse thru –

http://search.hp.com...canner&oc=77376

http://h10025.www1.h...n&lang=en&cc=us

Specs
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bps05661

I uninstalled HP Scanjet from the control panel where it no longer shows. After completing the stepd you provided, HP SCANJET still shows in device manager.

Remember when opening – [Device Manager] – now – you have to [Check View Hidden Devices] – in order to the – [History of Installed Devices] – Report what all you see in [Device Manager] – pertaining to the – following – [Present & Non Present Instances] of -

1- [Imaging Devices]
2- [Other Devices]
3- [Unknown Devices]
4- [Problem Devices]
I have to browse thru & familiarize myself with the use of this Scanner – so that I can understand your problem/s -

In the meantime – do the following [Search] – for HP\Digital Imaging\Skins\hp1\skin.xml File by -

1- Click on [Start]
2- Highlite [Search]
3- Click on [Files & Folders]
4- Type – *.xml – in [Search for Files or Folders Named]
5- Look in – Local Drive C
6- Check [Advanced Options] & Check [Search Subfolders]
7- Click [Start Search]
This should give you list & location of all the .xml Files on your PC -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 24 January 2006 - 01:10 PM.

Soarer

Soarer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello Jack123,

This is what I found under device manager, viewing hidden devices:
IMAGING DEVICES - HP SCANJET 4570c/5500c
OTHER DEVICES - NONE
UNKNOWN DEVICES - NONE
PROBLEM DEVICES - NONE

I searched for HP/....Skins........
NOTHING.

I think I will trash my printer and scanner and buy a new HP Photosmart 3210 All In One. My mom bought one at x-mas at Costco for $215.00 after instant rebate. NICE machine.
I would like to try to fix this problem first.
Todd

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
HP Scanjet 5500c scanner Problem [#3]
25th Jan 2006

I am confused over what the problem/s – that you are having – [Now]

I have not given you any real – [Troubleshooting Instructions] – I have only have given you

1- Some links to Browse –
2- Instructions to – Enhance [Device Manager] – In order to see History –
3- Some General Information –
4- Asked some general questions & to do some inquiries in [Device Manager] –

The problem appears to have migrated from a – [Scanner Feeder Problem] – to

1- Scanner Installation Problem –
2- Plus Printer Issues
3- Plus a HP Application Issue

It is OK – I am just trying to wrap my arms around the problem – So we will just start over again –

1st – I will give you another Tool – Free Home Edition of – [Everest] – Plus Instructions for Reports –
Download the Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] so we can analyze your PC http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

[See Attachment for Instructions]

2nd More questions – Just want a complete [Landscape Portrait] – instead of – [Mini Thumbprint] –

1- About – [PC]
2- About – [Device Manager]
3- About – [Scanner]
4- About – [Printer]
5- About – [Director]
6- More General

1 - [PC] – Questions – [Everest will answer most]

1- Type – [Desktop] – [Laptop] – [Tower]
2- Manufacturer
3- Model Number
4- Age
5- Operating System & Service Pack Installed
6- Did you upgrade from WIN 9X
7- Do you have a Camera Installed – Describe
8- How many USB Ports
9- List all USB Devices – [including Hubs]
10- Do you have Wireless network

2 - [Device Manager] – Questions –

1- Do you see any – [Non Present Devices]
2- Do you see any [Devices] that have – Yellow Question Marks 0r Yellow Exclamation Marks
3- List them if you do

3 - [Scanner] – Questions –

1- How long have you been using
2- How long have you been having problem
3- Do you have – [Installation CD]
4- What applications do you Scan with

4v - [Printer] – Questions –

1- Manufacturer
2- Model Number
3- Interface – [USB] – [Parallel] – [Serial] – [Other]
4- How long have you been using
5- How long have you had Issues
6- Do you have – [Installation CD]

5 - [Director] – Questions –

1- What is it – Is like a Printer/Scanner Manager Program
2- Installed with – PC – Printer – Scanner –
3- Do you have – [Installation CD]
4- What Applications can you Scan with
5- Have you had trouble with it before

6 - [General] – Questions –

1- Did you ever get your [Malware Issues/Question] taken Care of –
2- Are any of these problems/issues related/connected to [Malware]
3- Any new Upgrades or New Hardware Installations – at time Problem/Issues began

Just trying to get a handle on all the Issues & see what we are dealing with – Hopefully – This is just a [Driver/s Update Issue] – The only real problem – that I have – Why did HP ever tell to – [Delete HP1 & HP2 Files] –

Do you have any idea what they were for – what directory were they in – what application – when were they deleted – are they still in your [Recycle Bin] –

If you have the Installation CD for - [Printer] – [Scanner] – Try Browsing them for the Files you need –

1- Are you able to [Print] – List Issues
2- Are you able to [Scan] – List Issues
3- Do you have any Camera Issues

Do all these Devices have USB Interface –

Jack123

Attached File  01_EVEREST_3F_Attatchment.doc   32KB   71 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 25 January 2006 - 10:33 AM.

Soarer

Soarer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello Jack,
Thanks for your assistance. I contacted HP once more and they were finally able to resolve my problem. They had me delete the HP IMAGING DEVICES folder in windows explorer, rebooted, reinstalled software. I finally have a working scanner again. Thanks again for your assistance.
Todd