Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

check power supply

• Please log in to reply

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was just wondering how I can check what my computer's power supply is so that when I look for a new graphics card, I will know which ones my computer can handle.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most of the newer PS's have the wattage on the labels on the ps. Although you can get by on a 300 watt PS, i prefer using 400 or higher watt PS's. I also prefer name brand PS's. I usually will buy Thermotake PS's since i have never had any problems with them. I get them from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com for around $35-40.

Many new puter have low power PS's. I just replaced a PS in an Emachine because it was a 230 watt and was not good enough when i installed a nvidia 6600 video card and a dvd-rw in the puter.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Checking the label is the easiest way but you can physically check it with a multimeter if you really want to, you just a length of wire to trick it into thinking it should be on. Although the label is easier.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The best source of information that I have found is at http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Take a look at the sticky posts at the top of the forum. It helped me figure out the one that I had was not adequate for my system, and gave me excellent guidance on picking a quality, reasonably priced power supply.

Edited by austin_o, 14 December 2005 - 07:33 PM.