Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was just wondering if anyone knew if it possible to install games to an external hard drive. I am asking this because I am upgrading my computer to play all the new games, but unfortunately my hard drive is only 32 GB (I know, that's really bad but my mom would only buy a cheap Wal-Mart computer). This would allow me to have more games to play.

If you can't install games to an external hard drive, then is it possible to get a bigger hard drive and put it into my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A few of the walmart computers do not have 2 ide channels( where your hard drive and cdrom drives hook up to the motherboard). If you do have 2 IDE channels it would be easier to install a second larger HD into the computer, than use an external drive.

http://www.pctechgui...ConnectCDRW.htm

This webpage will show you what ide connectors look like.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A bigger drive is better cheaper, but if its the kind of computer that only has a 32gig drive i wouldnt think it would handle games what are its specs.(At least not games that take up alot fo space anyway).

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, it is possible to install a game on an external drive. The easy way is if the install program asks where to install the program. If not, then you can copy the directory to the external drive and then create a link to that location (this is more work and can have issues, but often works).

In general, you can install a large drive in the computer and that is the easy way to go, assuming you have an easy way to re-install the OS and all the programs and drivers. Sometimes machines have issues with the size of the drive though.