Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grainy Capture

• Please log in to reply

justenhansen

justenhansen

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
It use to be that right when I installed a fresh os (XP) I could capture my videos from my fire wire and my capture card and they looked increadible. Then after some time the picture would digress. Now its grainy even after I reload Windows. What could cause this? I've even upgraded my video from 64 mb to 128 mb and my ram from 512 mb to 1.25 gig. I'm about to go crazy.

I use a Winfast capture card and a noname firewire port I got off of ebay.
I've purchased the Winfast software, Ulead Video Studio 8, Roxio Videowave 7. and even Adoobe Premiere 7.0. I get the best quality out of Videowave through the capture card, but its still a little grainy.

I've also shaved off all of my hair, so that I'll quit pulling it out. Any suggestions???

I have an AMD 2600xp, an ASUS A7N8X-X, and a 120gb Western Digital HD.

Also I'm just curious, do video cards have much to do with capturing video?

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

I don't think the grainy image has anything to do with the capture or computer, does the video appear grainy on the video camera? You might need to turn off gain on the camera? Also are you filming in low light conditions? Because low light conditions will cause gain/grain.

Also I'm just curious, do video cards have much to do with capturing video?
Nope, it shouldn't affect it. I use a $20 firewire card.

Also check that your "Winfast Capture Card" is set to uncompressed full frame size settings.

Edited by st22, 13 December 2005 - 11:40 PM.

justenhansen

justenhansen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well I'm headed out of town for three weeks so I'll have to finish this up later.
Thanks for replying st22. My videos are in all kinds of light and still grainy.
Also I was wondering if the number of megabytes or other features on a video card have anything to do with capturing video. Or if they're just for gamers.

I'll check to see if I can change any settings on my capture card. As for the software, I've tried to capture in every mode possible.

Talk to you in a few. Justen

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
What video camera do you use? (model and brand eg panasonic mv500i).

justenhansen

justenhansen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey there. I forgot about this string. My camera is a Sony Handycam 350. Digital 8. I've also tried my Sisters Sony mini DV camera. Same thing.

justenhansen

justenhansen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Also I should note that I use Premiere and it says that there aren't any dropped frames. And I'm on the highest setting as far as I can tell. The only place I can find to change the quality is right when you name your project at the beggining, and it only gives you two options. I get better quality when I use Roxio Video Wave and record in MPG2 format. But it's still not what I want.