Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Format (or not 2 format) old HD

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

Would you please advice me on this:
- I had a Dell’s comp with 120GB HD with the XP Home edition. A few months ago a couldn’t start the computer (there was missing some system files as I can remember), so I took the comp to the shop and buy the new HD of 120GB HD and the CD XP SP2. Guys in the shop basically placed the HD in the comp and now I have the XP SP2 on my new HD.
- My old HD is attached as the second HD and I am able to see all the data on it and move the files between the HDs.
- Now, I would like to sort out the second HD in the case that something goes wrong with the new one.

Should I format the old HD? And if yes can I use the XP SP2 which is on new HD. I have activation code but for the system on new HD. Or is it possible maybe (if yes please how?) just to have the system on new HD and use the second HD as backup (without the system). These questions are maybe stupid but I am not comp expert but I know some bits-and-pieces (or by these questions I am making the full of myself?!)

Thanks.
Regards
Den

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you allready had an activation code for XP so that not a bother that machine has XP so you dont have to worry about it, all you need to do is go online or phone MS and get the activation code when you need it if you reinstall.

Im a little confused though, is there something wrong with the computer now.

What they guys should have done was installed the new HDD moved all the old files across and then formatted the old HD so you can use it as a back up, although if it was just missing files on the windows disk you shouldnt have needed a new drive just a reinstall of windows, unless the drive was bad in which case they would have told you not to use it.

If you want to format the old one you can do it from windows, just right click on the drive you want and select format, or you can use the CD and use the fdisk utility.

If there isnt anything wrong though i would just make sure you have backups of important stuff on CD or DVD and leave it alone.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think its perfect to use the old drive as a data backup drive. I even do this with single drives. I make 2 partitions, one 10 gig partition for windows and programs, and a second partition that is usually the rest of the drive for all data i put on the puter. Three times i have been able to save all my data on a computer by installing the drive in another computer and transferring the data from the second partition to another partition of the original drive in the puter. Even a corrupted ntfs file system on one drives "C" partition let me transfer the data from the "D" partition to another puter.

The second drive(slave now)does not need windows installed at all. The easist method to would be to transfer all data you want to save to the new drive and wipe everything off the old drive. then start making the folders you want and transfer all the data back to the old drive. You can even move the folders and everything in them back to the old drive after deleting everything off the drive. XP should automatically know where the files are.

Any data i save goes to a folder on my "D" drive, and other than program installs, no data is saved to the "C" drive. All of my personal puters are set up this way and i still have data i saved 10 years ago on my last computer build i finished a month ago.

Since the early days of win 3.1 and win 95a, i have become paranoid about losing data so i also back up most of my data to CD's( and now DVD's). Yes i have 100's of backup cd's stored in my closet but i am reasurred that none of it will get lost.

SRX660

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you guys very much.

As I know my old HD is fine (of course not the old XP Home that is on it); so should I do this:
1. move any data that I need from old HD to new one;
2. than thorough windows explorer just delete everything form old HD
3. do I have to format old partitions or step 2 will be OK

Thank you again.

Regards

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
And for SRX660:
How you can actually move the programs: drag and drop or…

Thanks

Den

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you want to reformat the drive, which is a big delete, you will only have one partition unless you specifically set up more than that, now is a good oppertunity to put some partitions on that drive.

You might try doing it all through something like partition magic, i think it has a trial version, its a good bit of software for creating partitions on your hard drives.
You dont need the old windows install anymore so you should just get rid of it in a reformat, then once the old drive is reformatted and partitioned you move your files back on to it, programs cant be dragged and dropped they are stuck on the drive you installed them on for that OS, you can move the installers though and just put software back on after.

Two drives are a handy thing to have because you can juggle partitions about from one drive to the other letting you have very good data security, although i prefer keeping stuff on disks as i accumulate clutter like nothing on earth so if i only burn the stuff i need i save alot of time and space when i put everything back on my pc.

Yeah you have a number of ways to format and partition the old drive or both if you wanted to, so just pick one and give it a go as long as you have the data backed up on one drive when you work on the other one you are fine.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you for the advice.

I am still a bit puzzled with this “move program” operation (for data files it shouldn’t be problem even for me).

As now I have on my comp:
1. new HD 120GB as:
a. C: 40GB here is new XP SP2
b. D: 80GB
2. old HD also 120GB as:
a. old C (now F) 40GB (and with old XP Home)
b. old D (now G) 80GB
3. all my programs I have reinstall after having new HD and I am using them from C (although I can see that I have all programs on F as well as they simple stayed there from earlier)

So when I download Partition Magic and format the F and G, lets say also with 40-80GB, I simple find programs that are important for me (in Programme Files on C) and drag the folder of that program to F or G?

I will download Partition Magic Trail – is it possible to do the job with the trial version or I have to buy one?

Thank you very much. You guys are great! The most useful site I came across.

Regards,

Den

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As i have had problems with partition magic in the past, i don't use it on my computers. Windows XP can format any drive on your computer so i use it. Before XP i always used a boot disk to partition drives and never had any problems( of course they were all formatted in Fat32 before XP).

One of my puters i have partitioned like this.
Primary drive
C - 10 gigs
D - 110 gigs
Secondary drive
G - 60 gigs
H - 60 gigs

My E drive is the DVD-RW and the F drive is my CD-RW/DVD combo.
This is just my preference. I have a friend That has his second drive(160 gig) partitioned into 6 partitions of 20, 20, 40, 40, and 40 gigs because he likes expermenting with different flavors of Linux and installs 3 or 4 at a time.

As to moving the files and folders, i just click on a folder in explore , then click Edit/Cut, then i open(blue highlight) the new HD and go up to Edit/ Paste and click it. It moves toe whole folder easily but could a little while if there are a lot of files in the folder. I have moved my music folders which some have 10 to 20 gigs of music in them this way(this big of files can take some time, like 5 to 10 minutes).

As i said i do not move programs at all. For me they are installed on the "C" drive. Everything else put on the other partitions. I do save programs that i have not installed on secondary partitions but i still install them on the "C" drive. Data used by programs will still be read from secondary drives. I just tell the program where the data is. This is for graphics programs i use.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you play games then you are gonna want to have a big C partition, games hate being installed and saved anywhere but the C drive. Mind you it probably istn a problem if you have a dell we all know how great they are at gaming.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you guys very much!!!

I been following the advices and everything is OK.

Now I have:
1. new HD 120GB as:
a. C: 40GB here is new XP SP2
b. D: 80GB
2. old HD also 120GB as:
a. old C (now F) 40GB
b. old D (now G) 80GB
and hopefully in the future everything will be smooth with my comp.

One more question please that puzzled me last night. I been following your instructions for virus and malware problems; and as I have everything that you have advice: AVG, S&D Spybot, Ad-Aware… + my XP SP2 is up to date, so I have OK comp as the all scans from these programs shows. However, last night I done Panda online scan and shows me that I have 1 troyan. As Panda didn’t do anything about it, I run all my scans on comp and they didn’t show anything! Is this possible? Once again my comp is quick and I don’t have any problems with it.
So, what is with Panda result?

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Above questions is because I do the online banking, so I would like to be sure that everything OK.

Thanks. Regards.

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi guys again.

Update to my previous post:

Report from Panda is:
Incident: Adwere:adware/ist.istbar

As I said before my comp is working fine and any other malware scanners that I have and run (ie S&B, ad-aware, …) didn’t show anything. Also, AVG didn’t find anything. So, is this normal or I am paranoid?!

Thanks.

Regards,

Den

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check this.

http://www.doxdesk.c...ite/ISTbar.html

SRX660

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you SRX660

Well I just check the link and I follow the instructions…

I didn’t find any registry keys as suggested on these pages. Also for the info I have run earlier Registry Mechanic and there wasn’t any problems.

Its strange that Panda gives me this result as everything else shows nothing. Is there maybe something else I can try just to make sure… because, as I said, I’m using online banking and I want to be zillion % sure…

Thanks. Regards.

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well… update!!!

I have just going through Windows Explorer and find like 35-40 blue hidden entries like this:
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB890046$
C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB893756$
…. (where all contain folder spuninst and some other file or files)

All of them are made in last two days, and first entry is different and it is like:
C:\WINDOWS\$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$
And contains:
Folder spuninst + files:
Msi.dll
Msiexec
Msihnd.dll
Msimsg.dll
Msisip.dll
Reg00013
Reg00014 … all the way to reg00116.

Yes, when I finish few days ago with the sorting out my HDs as on the beginning of this topic, I did the repair of xp and I have again updated it. But I cannot see the updates in add/remove programs as before.

Well please what do you think is going on. Thank you.

Regards,

Den