Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program files

• Please log in to reply

vikingal

vikingal

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all,
How can I find out which programs are assoiated with certain files???
When I try to delete files that come up in a virus scan I get a message that states that another program is using that file and it cannot be deleted.Which brings me to my original question.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi, if you would like to delete a certain file that is being picked up by a Anti-Virus, I assume that your A-V tells you the file name, and where it is located, the file cannot be deleted becasue it is still in process, so goto "Start Menu", ">Run" inside the run console type in "tskill *" this will close everything including your explorer. The computer will then say "Shuting Down in xx:xx seconds", hold "Ctrl + Alt + Del" to bring up your task manager, then goto "File", then >"New Task(Run...)", then type in "shutdown -a". If your explorer has not come up after all these steps then, open "taskman" and in the "Run" type "explorer". Once all these steps have been followed locate the file on your computer and delete it. Done... and restart.

An even simpler way of deleting a file that is still in process is getting the program called "Hijackthis.exe" which you will find on this site. Open the file and then goto "Open the misc tool section" you will see under "System tools" a button saying "Delete a file on reboot..." from there you select the file and restart so that it is deleted.

When finished deleting the file, for reassurance run a Virus scan.

Hope this help. Enjoy.... :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does it say what program has the file in use?

edit: or do that stuff h ehehe

Edited by dsenette, 14 December 2005 - 09:02 AM.