Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

ep3w

ep3w

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Right now I have 2 512MB PC3200 sticks of RAM. There are 2 more available slots. I have another stick of 512MB PC 2100(I think) RAM from an old computer. Right now i am also running an ATI graphics card with 128MB of shared memory. My question is do you think it would help to install the other stick of RAM too or not since it will slow down the speeds of the other 2 already in there? Will it make a difference since my video memory is shared with the RAM? What if I get a new graphics card with out shared memory would it then be benficial to put in the other stick of RAM too? Also is there a way to tell if the other stick is dual channel and will work along with the 2 I have now? Thanks a lot. :tazz: Sorry for all the questions...

Edited by ep3w, 14 December 2005 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dual channel needs two sticks, its dual, no the speed drop would be significant , a new gfx card would increase performance giving you more ram and reducing the cpu load.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Maybe im retarded but i thought the installed memory has to be the same clock speed, in other words PC2100 w/ PC2100 nad PC3200 with PC3200. I tryed b4 w/ standard memory on my ASUS non-dual channel mobo and it wouldnt work

ep3w

ep3w

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
from what I understand is that if i were to put in the PC2100 along with the PC3200 it would just drop thhe 3200 down to 2100. I could be wrong though... So the drop in speed is enough that i shouldnt bother putting in the extra ram?