Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is defaultusercheck in startup list?

• Please log in to reply

dscoo7

dscoo7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The startup list has an item called defaultusercheck %system%\system32\prepdump Ou-.....??????
What the [bleep] is this thing????

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I've never heard of it before. And since I can't find anything about it when searching, I believe it's a new infection.

What anti-virus and anti-spyware software do you use? If you do not have Spybot - Search & Destroy, download it at the following link:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Install it, update it, and run a scan of your computer.

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm running Norton Systemworks 2005 & ad-aware SE and they havn't picked up anything.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you post a screen shot of the startup list that you're talking about?

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• startup.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
No wonder I couldn't find anything on it. It's called UserFaultCheck, not defaultusercheck. It's nothing to worry about.

Information on it

It's not necessary, but I wouldn't disable it, unless it is giving you problems.

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, my bad, I couldn't remember exactly what it said, I deleted it yesterday. Do I need to put it back in there? Thnx for all the help and info.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You should put it back, but if you have trouble restoring it, I wouldn't worry about it. According to CastleCops.com, it isn't necessary. But if you encounter any strange problems in the future, make sure you mention this startup item that you disabled when asking for help.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 December 2005 - 08:41 AM.

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can I restore it without doing a complete system restore?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I think you can fix it without a restore. Try this:

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then click on the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow. Let me know what the choices are. I'm not at an XP computer right now, so I can't see the choices.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 16 December 2005 - 10:22 AM.

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Options

Attached Thumbnails

• start.JPG

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If it was already selected as Small Memory Dump, then leave it like that. The UserFaultCheck had something to do with that. I think everything is fine, but if you want to, you can check msconfig and see if UserFaultCheck is listed there.

To get into msconfig, click on Start, Run, and type msconfig in the space provided. Press enter. Click on the Startup tab and look for UserFaultCheck. If you see it, make sure it's checked.

If you don't see it, I wouldn't worry. Since that option wasn't on "none", I don't think much was changed by removing UserFaultCheck.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Look what I just found :tazz:

This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.

http://www.bleepingc...Check-6014.html

dscoo7

dscoo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
GREAT! Thnx again. But while I have you here what do you know about Wild Tangent? When I ran Spybot it found a bunch of its files and wanted to delete them????

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
good question. Wild Tangent has to do with games, more specifically, online games. Spybot catches it because it transmits data about your computer's configuration. Nothing truely dangerous. It won't cause your computer to crash :tazz:

My conclusion:
Get rid of it if you don't play online games
Don't get rid of it if you do, since you could lose the ability to play those games.