Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank desktop, no explorer after XP repair

• Please log in to reply

magicbeard

magicbeard

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Did repair install in XP and ended with a blank desktop. Logs in, taskbar shows for a fraction of a second, then screen goes blue (or if there is background image, goes to that). Contrl Alt Del gives task manager and can run most everything with it. Have tried a lot of blank desktop fixes for Win2000 but they dont work or dont apply to XP (or my XP).
Installing/fixing XP Pro with included SP2.
Have clean booted with minimum services but still blue.
Have deinstalled IE but still blue.
If I manually run explorer.exe it flashes a taskbar at the bottom and quits.
There is no explorer.exe in the task list. It appears briefly when I manually run explorer.
Add/remove programs shows lots of programs installed. Disk manager shows all ok.

Using the Win98se partition (this is a dual boot system), scandisk shows no file errors. The directory looks fine. Win98se works fine.

XP logs in fine all the way to WELCOME and then a blank screen.

Hugh

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Have you tried booting XP in safe-mode?

You could also try running sfc /scannow either through Windows Recovery Console or in a DOS prompt if you are able to open one.

magicbeard

magicbeard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Safe mode gives the same. No screen but the "SAFE" message around the edges. In command prompt mode I can see a window on top with the command prompt. If I close this then I get the same. Basically, explorer.exe is quitting. I compared it with a working winxp and explorer.exe matches. No viruses detected.

This must be an XP repair or protectionism issue.
Hugh

Cooldisk

Cooldisk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I am posting the very same issue. Except my screen went blank showing just the background wallpaper. After a system restore. Cannot access internet at all. Control Panel is missing and explorer.exe. Not sure if even a complete re-install of WIN XP will fix problem.

Have you had any luck repairing this problem. I have been able to get the bottom bar too flash but it disappears again...

Thanks

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
This is probably way to simple of a reply and
not your problem at all but maybe worth a try?

Right click on your desktop blank background...click anywhere on it.

Then where it says
Arrange Icons by:

Scroll down and see if

Show desktop icons is checked???

It MAY bring back your Internet Explorer Icon etc.

That would be so super duper. :tazz:

Janie flowergirl

Edited by flowergirl, 07 January 2006 - 12:22 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello magicbeard...

Download and run this Script for your desktop and taskbar problem.

Does your Help and Support open properly? How about the Device Manager...does it open and is it populated?

wannabe1

tronster

tronster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
wannabe1: Thanks for posting the vb-script. I'm having a similar issue, but alas it's still occurring even after running the script...

My issue is on an XP Home install, after I ran AVG and Ad-aware to clean out a barrage of viruses. No desktop, no folder, no explorer. I can bring up Windows Task Manager and run programs through "File > "New Task (Run)".

If I attempt to run explorer from the WTM or command prompt I receive "The system cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe". The file is there and intact. The system didn't have SP2 so I hoped install that would fix the problem. After the SP2 install I still receive the same error.

As I understand, from my web checking, this is some issue regarding registry keys and explorer? Is it a matter of missing / mismatched GUIDs or a simple boolean value I need to tweak?

Besides running the VBS I've run a batch file that attempted to registry all of Microsoft's system COM components as well as run the program "Registry Mechanic", all to no avail.

So now I'm really looking for a web-site with detailed information about Explorer related registry keys... not tweaks but the essential keys needed for it to work. Anyone know of one, or can provide helpful information?

Cheers.

Skeckulous

Skeckulous

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having a similar issue.

I haven't detected any viruses or spyware though.

I had a Uninstall program called "Your Uninstaller! 2006" and Uninstalled some Symantec anti-virus program fully. I'm guessing when it ran the full install and deleted things from the regstry to "clean" things... it deleted something it wasn't supposed to.

I've tried replacing the explorer.exe file with others from friends but no luck. Also tried renaming and it is just recreated right away.

Other problems I'm having is adding bookmarks in Firefox and the google search engine as well as any search engine in the top right corner won't work... It's been like that for a bit though (before explorer.exe stopped working). I'm running all of this through Taskmanager right now. FUN FUN FUN!

I found this though:
http://forums.techgu...ter-reboot.html
Which might fix your problem... if you check those registry keys.
I don't even have those registry keys in my registry... which i guess is good???

I know I can always re-format and do a clean re-install but taht's basically a whole weekend of work due to the many programs I have on here and the piles of backing up I'll have to do.

Any ideas? I'm almost 100% sure this is a registry thing.

Edited by Skeckulous, 25 January 2006 - 01:35 AM.

tronster

tronster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help. I couldn't find an answer (here or otherwise) so I basically re-installed. :tazz:

Cheers.

Skeckulous

Skeckulous

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yep... I think I'm going to be doing the same tomorrow... unless something else shows up here.

Advertisements

techquestion

techquestion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Any one has luck?
I have same problem.
No taskbar, No Desktop, just saw background.

control+alt+delete > taskmanager > NO "Explorer.exe" running in task lists.

run HJT > clear ALL entries
Expand D:\i386\explorer.ex_ -r c:\windows\explorer.exe (replace explorer.exe)
run explorer.exe got error: The system cannot find the file c:\windows\explorer.exe .

restart PC , same problem.
repair Windows XP, same problem.
Must be something in registry proventing Explorer.exe running. Any expert can help? Real Expert.

debatcup

debatcup

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found a fix, want to share it. Note, the key characteristic of my problem was:
No desktop, because...
c:\windows\explorer.exe would not run

It is visible from the command window, via browse, etc
It cannot be moved, renamed, or executed, by any utility

All I did was delete the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options\explorer.exe

The exact procedure (note, you can do this even though there is no desktop)

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

That was all it took! I did this on a Vista system. The "Windows NT" entry in the registry is correct, even though it is a Vista computer. Note that these instructions were posted in 2005, two years before Vista was released, but they worked for me.

Now I'll be doing a thorough Virus/Spyware/Malware cleanup.

xpwit

xpwit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks debatcup

Same problem here (trying to clear my PC of virus/malware/ whatever)

I followed your instructions and it worked for me!!!

InsectReflection

InsectReflection

• Pip
  • 1 posts
CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work for me. Doesn't work in Safe Mode, either. No icons on my desktop in normal boot, no icons in Safe Mode (just black screen with "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners). I can't bring up the Task Manager because pressing CTRL+AL+DEL doesn't work. I ran the Repair XP on the Windows install disk, and same issues. Managed to bring up Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt and ran Malwarebytes off the command prompt, but nothing was detected.

I'm really at a loss ...

Edited by InsectReflection, 19 April 2009 - 03:26 PM.

SsevenN

SsevenN

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work for me. Doesn't work in Safe Mode, either. No icons on my desktop in normal boot, no icons in Safe Mode (just black screen with "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners). I can't bring up the Task Manager because pressing CTRL+AL+DEL doesn't work. I ran the Repair XP on the Windows install disk, and same issues. Managed to bring up Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt and ran Malwarebytes off the command prompt, but nothing was detected.

I'm really at a loss ...

I'm having the very same problem. Desktop wallpaper and a mouse icon (that can be moved), but no CTLR-ALT-DELETE access or anything else..

Should I just do a straight re-install? Help please!