Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive recovery

• Please log in to reply

willyg

willyg

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
:tazz:
My son has a Dell Latitude Cpi laptop running Windows2000. When I finished upgrading the anti-virus software I noticed the hard disk hadn't been defragged in almost a year, so I started the process. While it was running the dreaded blue screen of death with a 'kernel' error message popped up. Now the machine won't boot up.
I don't have an emergency repair disk(my bad), but I do have the setup boot disks. I've used them to get into the recovery console, but nothing seems to be helping to resolve this problem. The 'fixmbr' command just returns the C prompt, and the 'fixboot' command returns an error that the partition can't be found. Chkdsk returns a message that there are one or more unrecoverable errors.
I was going to try and reinstall Windows2000 but this machine only has one bay that you swap the floppy and CD drive into. When I boot from the floppies, the CD drive isn't recognized when I swap it in. Besides any other suggestions, is there a way to get the CD drive recognized?

Thanks,
Bill

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
will it recognise the drive if you boot from it. You may need to set the VD drive as a boot device in bios, windows installation disks are boot disks as well so if you can get the CD drive going you are sorted.

willyg

willyg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I was able to include the CD drive as a boot device, and successfully booted from the Win2000 installation disk. For the heck of it, I used the recovery console to run chkdsk again but got the same message about one or more unrecoverable errors. I also ran the 'diskpart' command which returned the following:
'C: 6190m MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on atapi'. However, when I rebooted and selected to install Win2000, I received a message that no hard disk was recognized. :tazz:
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bil

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I got that same message when I attempted to save my HP WinXP machine. All that would happen 99% of the time it would stay on the blue HP screen. Anyway, I got it to BIOS once, and it booted after the no operating system found and CMOS checksum bad error crap. I got to the installation and finally, no hard disk found. I never got their again...it seems that the disk had so many errors, Windows and BIOS was unable to recognize it (or so I was told.)

So, sorry for the long message, my idea is to try a new HD (I was told that would work for me, but my motherboard was also bad so that's why I think it MAY work for you.)

Jared