Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange e-mail from McAfee-center.net

• Please log in to reply

tlimon

tlimon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Few minutes ago, I've recieved the following e-mail from McAfee analysts. Actually, I didn't downloaded it, just saw it with "Quick Delete" and tried to load the mentioned
" Official site: [url="http://www.mcafee-center.net/?page=update""]http://www.mcafee-center.net/?page=update"[/url] (see below), but it was impossible. Does anybody have any idea about what it might mean ?

Thx
tlimon :tazz:

Attention!

A dangerous virus was detected in your system!

Attention! McAfee® informs you that your system contains a dangerous virus known as Kongos.31XRW.Worm.

The worm activates on December 31, 2005, at 00:00:00 on all the infected computers, deletes the operation system and BIOS without any chance for
restoration.

Moreover, the virus steals private information of users, including personal documents, credit card numbers, typed passwords (keylogger), as well as access
to internet banking.

By approximate estimation, the malicious worm is now settled on more than 90 mln PCs worldwide, with about 700,000 computers infected daily.

The primary problem is the constant mutation of the virus body, which prevents antivirus software from tracking Kongos.31XRW.Worm.

The virus distributes itself through infected sites, network PCs, email, peer-to-peer networks.

McAfee® strongly recommends to download a patch from the official site which will interrupt the virus mutation, delete Kongos.31XRW.Worm from your system
and prevent future infections.

Official site: http://www.mcafee-ce...et/?page=update

We see it as our obligation to inform you about the coming epidemic!

Kind Regards,

McAfee Analysts.

Phone: +44 (0) 1753 217500

Fax: +44 (0) 1753 217520

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this online scan

http://us.trendmicro...call/v6.5/?us=2

You should use the update option from within the installed programme in almost all cases to make sure you connect to the correct site

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
tlimon...

If you would like to verify if your machine is, in fact, infected...open the Registry Editor (Start > Run > regedit) and look for the following keys...if they are present you may very well be infected and should probably pay a visit to our Malware Forum

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Run "Cryptographic Service" = C:\WINDOWS\System32\[random name] .exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wireless

This and more information is available HERE

wannabe1

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
So let me get this straight.. This ISNT a mistake, there truly is such a big virus going around?!

"
The worm activates on December 31, 2005, at 00:00:00 on all the infected computers, deletes the operation system and BIOS without any chance for
restoration.
"

Is that true?

(Checked my system, I'm clean ( as i expected to be ) but wow, This is going to be a problem for alot of people by new year's

Edited by Vaillant, 14 December 2005 - 10:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
McAfee don't have .net sites

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Microsoft says users with XP service pack 2 are good to go.
--EDIT-- Just checked my update history, turns out it was one of the first updates microsoft had me download, after my format.

Ademendum to keith : that's right.

Could that email be a scam, to boast the virus's image?

Edited by Vaillant, 14 December 2005 - 11:09 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Generally, if you get an e-mail from any security programme which says anything other than " would you like to upgrade to the superoo version " ignore it, better yet, delete it without opening it

Run the update option from within the programme

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
According to the information on the McAffee site (HERE in post #3)...this is a low risk worm.

Yes..it's constantly mutating, and yes...it messes with the machine a little, but doesn't delete the operating system. It's designed to open a backdoor just like most of it's cousins. I don't expect this particular worm is going to be that much of a problem at New Years.... :tazz:

wannabe1