Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runner Error at start-up

• Please log in to reply

riverview59

riverview59

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Presario. At start-up, I get a Runner Error that reads "Runner File Name (CompaqConnections.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id separator)". Can anyone tell me what this is and how to correct it, please?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if they can help here

http://h20179.www2.h...7&lang=en&cc=us

If not, post back

riverview59

riverview59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Keith. I will give it a try!

riverview59

riverview59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Keith,
Thanks for your suggestion. I logged onto the HP Tech Chat - and they offered two suggestions to fixing the "Runner File Name (CompaqConnections.exe) lacks a '-' (the app id separator)". I went with option 1, and it worked! Here are both options offered up by the HP Tech:

The issue occurs as the file required for automatically downloading HP updates has been removed by the while running Spyware scan. To resolve the issue you will have two options. 1) Disable the software from the Start Up programs (MSCONFIG). However then you have to download the updates manually from the HP website. 2) You have to perform non-destructive recovery to get back the lost or corrupted file. (This process will reinstall the Operating System, drivers and application software without deleting any user data from the system.)

Option 1: Disable the software from the Start Up programs:

1. Click Start, and then Run 2. In the command box, type msconfig; and click OK. 3. Click Startup. 4. Uncheck all the programs except RECGUARD, KBD, PCHBUTTON (and any Anti-Virus software you have installed) 5. Click OK 6. Restart the system If you see a message "System Configuration Utility You are using the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", check the option and click OK. This occurs if you are using the Selective startup option but not using the normal startup to reduce the number of startup programs.

Option 2: Non-Destructive Recovery:

NOTE: This process will reinstall the Operating System, drivers and application software without deleting any user data from the system. 1. Click Start, All Programs, PC Recovery Tools, and then HP (Compaq) PC System Recovery. 2. A dialog appears prompting you to confirm your choice. Click Yes to start system Recovery. 3. The system will restart. A black screen with a status bar appears indicating that the Recovery Utility is loading. 4. The System Recovery program recovers factory-shipped applications, drivers, and Operating System. By default, it does not overwrite user files. Click "Next" to continue with the Non-Destructive System Recovery process. 5. Click Yes to begin recovery. Click No to run Windows XP System Restore. 6. The system will begin to copy the necessary files. The recovery partition on the hard drive has the necessary information to complete the recovery. 7. The system recovery process will complete itself while displaying the recovery progress. 8. When the process is complete, it will prompt you restart the system. Select "Shutdown" if you are sending the unit back to customer so that they can perform their own Windows XP configuration. Click Restart, if you are doing the configuration now. 9. Remove any CD before restarting. 10. After rebooting, you will need to tidy up the PC following this type of recovery. The user's Documents and Settings files will be intact, but the user accounts will be erased. Make the appropriate selections and click "Next" to continue. 11. If you have administrative privileges, you will have to set up accounts and move old files from their original folders to the new user account folders. If you are unable to Access Data from User Accounts after a Non-destructive System Recovery in Microsoft Windows XP, please visit the following Web link for troubleshooting steps: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know