Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help I can't get into safe mode.

• Please log in to reply

kimcorn

kimcorn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi every time I turn on my computer I get multicoloured lines flashing on the monitor. I have the same error message "frequency out of range" as the other post but I cannot get into safe mode. I have tried pressing F2 and also F8 which I read from the other post.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go.

What is the brand and model number of your computer? And is it a desktop or a laptop?

kimcorn

kimcorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

It is a Fujitsu Siemens PC with XP home edition and an intel 4. It says Cordant on the box & has a 3 ghz processor (that is now useless!) I have tried another monitor & still have the same problem. I can't find the model number but is just over a year old.

Thanks

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Very weird error for a Windows XP computer. (When I first read I though you ment 95) Keep me posted, but as of now, I ahve no clue. Sorry.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hello, i dont know what might be wrong with your monitor but i can help you get into safemode, i assume you can still get into windows and see a little of the desktop.

If you can still see what you doing, edit you boot.ini (C:\boot.ini) this file is hidden, once opened copy the bottom line of code mine looks like this ( multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect ) without brackets then copy it just below the original line instead do it like this ( multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional backup" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect )

Then goto (>start >run) and type in "msconfig" when it has opened goto to the Tab "BOOT.INI" you will see a label saying "Boot Options" select "/Safeboot", make "timeout" 30 seconds, ok and restart.

This will enable you to enter into you safe mode. The problem why you couldnt enter safe mode before is that you might have a USB mouse or keyboard that is conflicting with it.

So i hope this works for you, goodluck :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you say you get the multicolored lines on the screen..then the frequency out of range...can you see the machine booting? can you see anything...or does it just doo the lines...then go black?

do you have an onboard video card? or is it pci, agp, pcie? or both

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for the menu button on the monitor and reset it You should be able to see enough to get safe mode,
then right click the desktop, then click properties, then settings to make sure the resolution is correct

kimcorn

kimcorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Thanks for your replys. This is exactly what happens:

I turn the computer on,it beeps once.
Fujitsu Siemens appers on the monitor & then vanishes.
The screen goes black then reappears with lots of coloured stripes.
It falshes black again & reappears with different coloured stripes.
Sometimes the screen just stays black other times it remains as stripes.
A couple of times I have had the outline of a penny sized square that moves with the mouse but this makes the screen flicker when I move it.
I cannot see any windows at all.......just stripes. Nothing to click on no words showing.
I managed to get the menu up on the monitor but unfortunately I don't have a reset button.
One of the computer swots at work told me I need a new graphics card.
My video card is radeon 9200se 128mb I have just opened her up & found it. Read on another website that removing it & rebooting may help but apparently that will invalidate my warranty (oh hang on a minute that ran out 5 minutes before my graphics went!)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right from the off, does it get you anything, the thing you need is to boot to safe mode so you can change the screen resolution

Try booting the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up then set the graphics to use onboard, press F10 to save and exit, type Y then press enter

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after setting it to use the onboard graphixs....remember to plug your monitor into that card

gondon

gondon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Unusual but I've seen this happen before on machines that have motherboards with on board graphics and you install a separate video card. Does your motherboard have on board video support, ie. can you connect the monitor cable directly to a motherboard video outlet socket?

If you can, remove the current video card before trying to boot up the system.

If you can then boot up then its got to be the video card thats gone bung.

Something else to try. You've tried another monitor so it cant be the monitor. Have you checked the cable, are you connecting the monotor via an analog or digital cable. Might be an idea to try someone elses cable to make sure yours isn't fried.

Good luck.