Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Users

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
OK, I'm trying to find a way to specify who on my workgroup has access to a shared drive or folder. I have my Desktop with the Drive I want to share and the laptop I want to share it with. Both Windows XP. I can simply share the drive, but then the other computer on the workgroup, will have access to all the files there as well. Although I am not too worried about them getting into the folder I would like to set it up so that only the laptop has access/ can see the drive I am sharing on my desktop. Is this possible? The network is wireless. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on the folder in question...then go to the sharing tab...then click the permissions button....and give the user who you want access...access..(though..in a workgroup...this can get a little hairy...much easier in a domain)

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
you mention it being easier in a domain. Is it possible to make the drive a domain for sharing, or perhaps I do not understand the concept of a domain.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe...a domain will be much more trouble than you want in your home (in the long run..management is easier...but setup...kinda sucks)

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I tried to specify the users that would be allowed to access the folder. I am not sure I am doing it right however. I turned off simple sharing, then I whent and gave it a shared name, I procede to click permissions, then click add. I have tried adding the IP address and the name of the computer, but I do not know that this is right. Can you help me? Also when I thought that location may need changes I looked and the only thing I found was my computers name, is there a way to add locations? Do I need to add a location to make this work? Thanks in advance.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Solution to the Problem was easy. If you want to password Protect your shared Folders here is how to do it:

Step 1: Enable the Guest Account (The Default Windows XP Guest Account)
Step 2: Open the Command prompt by clicking Start>Run and typing cmd or by holding the windows key down hitting R and then typing cmd then pressing enter
Step 3: Type "Net user guest password" without the Quotes.
Step 4: Add a password to the Guest account (this will be the password to access the shared folders)
Step 5: Reboot the computer and your done.

Once rebooted you can disable the Default Guest account and the password still remains. Username is the active user, password is always the one specified under the guest account. Thus passwording all Shared Folders.

My Laptop's username is the same as my computer and the Password on the laptop is the same as the Guest Accounts Password, therefore I do not have to enter a password to view Shared Files, but the othes in the house have to!

Hope this may help someone else. And thank you all who have helped.