Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not delete file on desktop unkown file type

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

quigsy78

quigsy78

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have "CASX2FWH." on my desktop and unable to delete error message "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk". I had an issue awhile back with torjans on system but were removed but this remained, any suggestions of how to remove please. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey if you can open hi jackthis then go to config/ misc tools / then go to delete on reboot and enter the files name. Let us know how that went.

quigsy78

quigsy78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey There, thanks for the reply unforunately this did not work, rebooted and followed instructions but file is still there! Anything else? Thanks

sallu

sallu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am having the exact same problem, i file named CA4PY5VW has been sitting on my desktop for ages and refuses to get deleted. the same error shows up "cannot read from source" its file size is 0 bytes and i cannot hide it or anything, so basically I have an ugly icon stuck on my desktop for life.
plz help me. i asked sooooooooo many ppl and no body seems to know wht its all about, every1 is like format ur comp if ur soo pissed about it, that would be a retarted thing to do over an icon though. lol.

so wht i am saying is that if anyone knows how to fix that problem he/she will be my HERO!!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
boot into safe mode and see if you can delete the file then. that goes for both of you.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok 1st Step is try this method
Delete Icon
If that does not work then try this.
Please backup your registry 1st
Registry Backup

Open the registry and go to the keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
"SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\"
"CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Desktop\\"
"NameSpace\\

there you have a list of special icons, delete the key which belongs to the right icon,
be carefull not to delete important icons...
and that's it.

Edited by peterm, 24 December 2005 - 06:18 PM.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I just solved a similar problem deleting a stubborn file. I just downloaded a program called delinvfile.exe. It gives 2 options for deleting files, and at least 1 should work for you. The short form filename method worked for me.

Although my error was slightly different to yours since the file was an mpeg with a filename that's too long with invalid characters, this tool should do the trick for your problem. Safe mode, HijackThis 'delete on reboot' and DOS* didn't work for me either.

Good luck and happy holidays!

[*That could be because my knowledge of DOS is patchy and I was doing it wrong though]

sallu

sallu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
THANKYOU SOOOOOO MUCH CAINE!!! WOW that small delting program did it. I deleted the file. EVeryone, even certified technitions told me that i need format then re-install windows, i cannot even repair or anything. lol. well i guess you are smarter than them.
thankyou soo much. i appreciate it.

quigsy78

quigsy78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

THANKYOU SOOOOOO MUCH CAINE!!! WOW that small delting program did it. I deleted the file. EVeryone, even certified technitions told me that i need format then re-install windows, i cannot even repair or anything. lol. well i guess you are smarter than them.
thankyou soo much. i appreciate it.

YAHOO!!! CAINE YOU'RE THE BEST!!! Worked for me as well using the small delete program - its been annoying and worrying me for ages and now gone - i really appreciate your wisdom and thanks so much!!!!

Enjoy the rest of you day.... :tazz:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is another program that does the same thing. It is called Move On Boot. It deletes files before the OS starts up.

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

SRX660

AhmedRafiq

AhmedRafiq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have already suffered this problem and know how to get rid of it

Download "Unlocker".It will resolve your problem. This software is free and it will unlock any file which is used by some process and you can easily delete this file.Just Download it and install it.
Thank You.

Link:
http://majorgeeks.co...b41ebea520d92f4

or

http://majorgeeks.co...ad.php?det=4660

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I second Unlocker, works wonders :)

alexaTS

alexaTS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have downloaded Long Path Tool and it helped me a lot .

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Long Path tool is not free. Demo version will not delete file. NOT recommended by our site. Unlocker 1.9.1 supports windows through windows 7. More info at http://www.emptyloop.../unlocker/#faq.

Also FileASSASSIN by Malwarebytes works well. More info at http://www.malwareby...s/fileassassin/