Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Help Needed

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Working on a friends PC to see if we can upgrade the Ram and HD. Is a very old PC and I have already found a Hard Drive , But I am having Some Problems on figuring out what Kind of ram I can Use and How much. I have tried looking for help on Google, but every automated site that helps reccomend RAM has to know the manufacturer and model of the motherboard. I have tried using PC Wizard 2006 to get this info, but it just says UNSPECIFIED for the Current Ram and and also for the MOtherboard. Here are some screenshots of what PC Wizard shows:

1up.jpg

2up.jpg

3up.jpg

If someone could give me hand to find out the motherboard manufactureer and model I would be very grateful.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm

try that....it may find something...no promisses

have you physically looked at the board and the ram to see if there is a serial number at all?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If this is a store-bought computer, you can use the brand and model number to check out the specs on the company's website.

or

You can download System Information for Windows (SIW) and see if you can figure out the Motherboard model with that program.

Since it is really old, you will probably have to physically look at it, like dsenette suggested.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 14 December 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
As dsenette suggested, check on the mobo for a manufacturers model number, serial number or a FCC number. Remember that model numbers aren't always located in the centre of the board or in between PCI slots, sometimes they are printed along one edge or on the side of the last ISA slot.

If you can find the make & model of the mobo, then check the ram specs either on the board manufacturers website or with Crucials memory advisor.

As a rough guess though, I would expect that board to use PC66 or PC100 Dimms, with a max of 128MB per dimm.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
crucials was the main one i was using... taking case off now to check the motherboard as you all suggested.

case off.. on the board it says:

ep-58 mvp3c -m 1000mhz

the rest of the writting is imprinted on the chips embedded into the board.

The current ram installed on it, says:

M18E64S416PQUG8 THEN IT HAS 8 BLACK LITTLE CHIPS ON IT THAT ON THEM SAYS: PQI PQ1S416U89914
and has 3 sections of gold pins (just like a PCI pin)
1st gold pin section has 10
2nd gold pin section has 30
3rd gold pin section has APPROX 45
hard to count since they are so small

DOES THIS HELP... AND THIS PC CAME FROM A HOSPITAL AUCTION FOR 20 BUCKS. SO ON THE CASE IT IS A PLANE JANE WITH NO WRITTING OR MANUFACT LOGOS OF ANY KIND.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 14 December 2005 - 03:04 PM.