Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc locks up while browsing certain websites

• Please log in to reply

cappy1

cappy1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My pc locks up on www.yahoo.com and a few other sites. I can go to numerous websites and when I go to yahoo it freees and I get that my explorer performed an illigal operation and I can't get the details cause it locks everything up except the mouse still works. then I reboot and does it again. I got rid of all spyware and did a norton virus scan and that didn't help. any advice will be good.

Thanks

Mike

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
try cleaning out your internet cache and cookies. Also defrag your computer if you haven't done so in a while.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...clean out your temp internet files

cappy1

cappy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok thanks I will do the fragment part when I get home from work next week. thanks..again..

Gary H

Gary H

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem and have had it for many months. I have already deleted all yahoo cookies. I have always deleted temp internet files every time I log off. I have defraged PC more than once. None of these things help. I have tried alot more things as well but nothing helps.

I have had just a few other web sites that have locked up as well. Maybe 2% of web sites. All sites that lock are busy as the status bar starts slowly and crawls forward for about 10 seconds before no advance. THe Windows Banner continues to wave and I still have control of the mouse but can not close out IE as it then says IE not responding. When I try to stop IE with Task Manager I get the usual Internet Explorer is not responding. What is wierd is that I can not shut the PC down from the start menu and the screen appears that all my memory at that point is totally unavailable. I at this point usualy loos control of the mouse totally locked up and must shut off power to the PC.

I am sure I have no viruses or any other issues but the PC locking up when using IE at certain sites. I set my privacy level to low but no luck. I set Advanced tab to defaults and no luck.

I run Norton Anti-Virus, Zone Alarm Firewall. For what it is worth I manage startup files with Scotty's Win Patrol and I run Google Pop Up Blocker. I am running XP without the service pack 2.

I have decent PC maintenance skills but this one has been the tuffest problem I have ever had. I of course can not log on to Yahoo to email them with my problem.

If any one has advice, I would very much appreciate the help. Thanks, Gary H

Edited by Gary H, 21 December 2005 - 09:04 PM.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
what internet connection do you have?

Also, have you tried alternative browsers to see if the problem persists?

Gary H

Gary H

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Numb Remxed for your reply. I am on a LAN through local TV cable. I do not have any other web browser to try. I have heard of Firefox or whatever it is called but I do not know if it conflicts with IE. Years ago on Windows 3.1 I tried to run Netscape with IE both and they battled each other all the time trying to become primary browser. I do not know if they are more compatible these days or not.

As much as I would like to get pat my problem, I would never load AOL which takes too much control of the PC.

Thanks for asking,
Gary H

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Firefox will not conflict with IE. In fact IE hates Firefox because Firefox is so much better than IE. IE just tends to stay away because it's jealous! :tazz: Of course, IE does have alot to be jealous about... Firefox has tabbed browsing, it's more secure, it blocks popups and it is rarely ever hit with spyware!

There is a link in my signature to Firefox... give it a try and if you need help configuring, we can help you with that too! :)

Gary H

Gary H

• Pip
  • 3 posts
makai and Remxed: Thanks for your help. :tazz:

Yes the Firefox browser loads Yahoo web site just fine without incident. I downloaded Firefox without importing any settings from IE and I will have to investigate why Firefox does not display some pages correctly as jpeg's do not show up on several of the pages I tried browsing and pages whose html was compiled by MS Publisher do not display correctly at all???????

At any rate Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to all.

Gary H

cappy1

cappy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will try Firefox as well. It's my aprents pc so they won't know the difference. hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas...

Mike