Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Text written on top of itself after making PDF

• Please log in to reply

archtech

archtech

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
We have a handful of computers at our work running XP SP1, Microsoft Office 2003 and the Full version of Acrobat 5 to make pdf's. It seems randomly when a user will make a pdf it will change the original Word document's text to the far left margin and all of the text will be on top of each other, the pdf will show up the same way. A lot of times recovering the word document is quite difficult. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this or have any solutions. I'm not sure what other details to include with this post.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what result you get with this

http://www.download....j=dl&tag=button

From Word, click file, print, select PDFReDirect as the printer to create a PDF, you can encrypt and password protect the PDF's and it does not put any watermark or ad messages

Running this will help determine if Acrobat or Word is the problem

archtech

archtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I will try this software out and see what happends. It's a fairly spiratic problem so it's hard to do testing on it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
PDFReDirect will not affect the Word document, it will just use its virtual printer to create a PDF.

Perhaps the next instance of text shuffle you get with Adobe, you can save or send the document to another PC to see how it handles it

archtech

archtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Kieth, the software works great, I'll likely use it at home and testing here in the office.

I found out more info today regarding the problem. When the text goes bad, if you close the Word document and don't save, the document goes back to normal. We also have a few licenses of software called Blue Beam which also makes PDFs and that also caused the problem of garbled text. Instances have shown up where just the PDF has garbled text and sometimes both documents have the issue.

I'm starting to think it's specific Microsoft Word templates that we have setup for our users that cause this occurance. Anyone know much about Word Templates and it's relationship with corrupting documents while printing?