Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard Drive Installed

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im Just a regular user in this area of the forums :tazz:

1st Question

I just put in a second hard drive and I set the original hard drive that was in here as the Master and the second hard drive I just added as the Slave... In both the BIOS and the jumpers on the Back of the HD's. I am able to boot up fine on the Master and I can Boot up fine on the slave... as long as I Unplug power from the Master. Is this normal????

2nd Question

When Using the OS from the Master I am unable to see the Slave from the My Computer icon (as if I were trying to look at the c: drive, D: drive a: drive ect...) Why is this?????

UPDATE - Think I found out why - Master was set to FAT32 and the Slave was set to NTFS... could that be why????

3rd Question

I wanted to use the OS installed on the Master HD as the Operating system for the computer, so I Formatted the slave HD. Now I am unable to boot from the Slave HD [Which is because I Formatted it - that was expected] but from the OS on the Master HD I cannot see the Slave as a seperate drive, better than that I cant even see it at all????

MY plea for help

What must I do to be able to use the OS on the Master HD for normal Pc Functions like I am doing right now, and then just have the added HD as an extra drive or drive letter for additional space under my computer (remember that the New additional hard drive is blank right now).

Ps.
Master HD OS is Windows 98SE

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 14 December 2005 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It sounds to me like the drives are not configured properly. Make sure of ALL the jumpers, including cable select.

With both drives connected and powered up, can you see both in the BIOS setup? I would suspect not.

All of your questions are related and I hope you actually formated the second drive and not the first.

Since you are running win98, you can use fdisk (from the command prompt window) to access each disk and look at the partition table, but first you need to make sure that the machine sees both.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im Not following you on making saure that both drives are configured correctly, could you clarify on that?
Both Hd's are seen in the Bios... just not in the device manager and not in the my computer.

And the jumpers on the Back of the HD's are set to Master for the Original and Slave for the Secondary. Cable select is another jumper configuration option for both of them, but i didn't select it as im not sure of it's function.

And Yes I formatted the second drive... not the first. I am using the first right now to post this reply.

Can you also explain the FDISK at the command prompt as I am not familiar with it either?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You updated the message to say that the partition type was wrong. win98 can not see NTFS partitions. How did it get set to NTFS? Are you accessing this disk from another machine?

The cable select jumper allows the drive to be configured based on the position on the cable. Some people like it since it means you can move the diisk and not have to change the jumpers, but I prefer to set it to what I want it to be.

fdisk is the program to partition the disk, it is also useful for looking at the disk. You can either open the command prompt window or select run and type in fdisk. By default it will be looking at the first disk, but you can change to the other disk (I think it is option 5, but I am not sure), then look at the partitions on there. You can remove and add partitions and it should set the type correctly. You might try removiing the partition on the diisk (assuming it is without any needed data), then create a new partition. After that, it should show up under my computer, but you will need to create the filesystem (format) it.