Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing when playing games

• Please log in to reply

greggumz

greggumz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have an

AMD 64 3400+
1 gig ddr 400 3200
Nvidia 6600 GT AGP
Win XP

When I play World of warcraft and half life 2 my computer freezes. In world of warcraft its runs flawlessly. Hardly ever goign under 30 fps. Then out of now where my computer freezes. The game screen freezes then the sound skips like a CD would. Then it stops and I just have to manually restart my computer. I have seen lots of other people with Nvidia cards who have a similar problem. Anyone knwo the fix, or now any more than I do about it. It may be something else, i'm just guessing its the card. Would getting a bigger power supply help me right now I have 450w.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you have the most current video driver installed for your video card? You can go to Nvidia's web page and check. You can view the event log for details of the cause of the freeze. Go to my computer, right click manage and view the event log. Look for ones with a red x at the time of the freeze event. Right click on it, view properties for additional details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional information, possible cause and fix.

The issue could be the power supply, or even heat if the computer is heating up during your gaming activity. The order that I would investigate would be 1) heat 2) driver issues 3) memory 4) power supply.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Playing Games causes PC Freeze
14th Dec-2005

1st thing – How old is PC – If it is about 1 – 2 years – It may be [Heat] Problem – Check CPU Temp – If over 55°C than this could be your problem –

If you do not have a [Temperature Monitor] Application – Download the – FREE – Home Edition of [Everest] – at http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Run [Everest] and Open the [Sensors] Folder – this will monitor – [Temperatures] – [Fan speeds] – [Voltages] of PC – Set up [Everest] to – Log & Record Temperatures – So you can review temperatures after freezing –

If this is causing the problem – Then check your CPU [Heat Sink & Fan] Assembly for [Dust Clogging] – You can use [Cleaning Duster] – to clean –

Turn PC off & Unplug – Read Instructions on Can – DO NOT INVERT or SHAKE CAN – KEEP UPRIGHT –

Compressed Air will turn to liquid when inverted – This will be a – [Larger Problem] –

Jack123

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thanks guys I got new memory and it still freezes, I justed wanted to upgrade to 2 gigs. Anyway I am checking temps, and I will let you know what I find below. thanks. I have not updated my drivers since i bought my vid card, because when I got it, and I downloaded the newest drivers they were faulty. And many others had the same problem as me. So i just went back to the driver that it came with.

12/17/2005 10:07:27 AM 14 56 38 37

Heres a sample reading from mys ystem, the first number is my CPU temp in Celsius, the second number is GPU, I see it's above 50 degrees, the next number is my GPU Ambient, and the last is my HardDrive. Let me know, is this too hot? I have been thinking about getting a new fan. Would it help to get anothe 450W or 470?

Edited by greggumz, 17 December 2005 - 10:10 AM.

WooDyR

WooDyR

• Pip
  • 8 posts
this happened to my old comp too man, idk, it probably was heat problem but i replaced everything so everything works again.

kyag

kyag

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HI
i also have the same problem,got a new graphics card for xmas my pc can handle it but wow cant? i have the nvidia geforce 6600 agpx8 i did the right click on my computer to find the error and all errors are the same "nview_info" i have had the latest drivers in but they dont work,worse if anything... i have the 71.89 driver in now that seems to be the only stable one for me. please how can i fix this....anyone?

Thanks in advance :tazz:

whitguy

whitguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When playing WOW my computer freezes, for other games not so much. What really surprised me was that i could play oblivion forever without it freezing and yet a much more simpler game like WOW makes it freeze. I checked the temp. to see if it was over heating but ones it got to about 46-48 Celcius it stayed there pretty continuously. I was also checking the CPU usage and it was staying between 50% to 80%. I have no idea what is wrong, i updated my driver and also reinstalled it. I checked my registry, looked for viruses yet nothing is working. Please Help.

Thanks for the trouble,

Aaron