Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too cool or not to cool..that is the question

• Please log in to reply

Neo38

Neo38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Trying to upgrade my Geforce 5200 card. Managed to squeeze in a Antec SmartPower 2.0 350 watt so I can finally put in a decent card (stock PSU was 240 ),.. Looking at PNY 6800GS 256 MB for about $230 at NewEgg but after reading some reviews, noticed that a few people had noise and heating problems. So my question is 1) Will the 6800GS work with the 350 watt PSU and should I get the Artic SR3 Silencer while I am at it?? I have a dimension 4600 Pent4 2.8 GHZ 2.0 Gig Ram PC3200 and now with a Antec 350 Watt.
Playing BF2 mostly...but just barely with a Geforce 5200. :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think 350W would manage it i think all the top half of the 6 series and beyond need at least 400W or 450W to run, also it would be bottlenecked by the slow CPU, its also PCI-E and i wouldnt think you have PCI-E, you can check cpu-z will tell you.

Noise and heat problems are generally individual and and depend on how the cooling in the case was to start with, arctic coolers are only for people that know there stuff and need the extra cooling fitting them can be a real nightmare, not hard but nerve racking.