Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

annoying "warning" pop-up which is NOT SPYWARE!

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi!

Ever since I bought a BlueTooth adapter (in order to transfer images from my mobile to laptop)I had problems with it, so I decided to get rid of the thing. The only trouble is, while I was uninstalling it, the uninstallation found itself corrupted and cancelled, which in turn required my laptop to perform a "physical memory dump" (i think this is what it's called: my screen had a thick black border, a blue square in the center and in the square, it had white writing...technical stuff I don't know what, and there was a percentage complete thing which was gradually rising.) Anyway...I turned my laptop off and on again, and upon entering my password, a warning/error message popped up telling me BlueTray.exe failed to open because libexpat.dll could not be found, and it tells me to try reinstalling the software. However, I don't have the software! It does it every time I switch on my laptop now. I have looked online at drivers to re-install etc. but I don't really know what I'm doing and would not want to mess it up more. All I want is to get rid of the entire program. I've been told that I need to delete the entire thing out of my registry, but again, I wouldn't want to go poking around in things I don't know.

My BlueTooth adapter basically plugs into a USB port, and from there you can send and receive files etc. It is a:
SMART Modular Technologies BlueOpal USB Adapter
Model No: 90137
FCC ID: KOC-90137
IC: 1961C-90137

My Laptop is:

Toshiba Equium
Intel® Celeron® M
1.50GHz
504 MB of RAM

This is really the only information I have to offer, (although if you need something specific, ask and I could probably find out, or I already know and have not thought to put in) anyone who could offer me ANY information, it will be GREATLY appreciated. I know it's only a small thing, but it's VERY annoying!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kill_hXc...

Please download RunAlyzer, install it, and run it on your machine.

Click on the "Autorun" tab, expand all the entries (click +), then click the "Hide Legit" button in the Toolbar. With RunAlyzer maximized, capture a screenshot and attach it to your next post. Exit RunAlyzer

Click Start, then Run, and type msconfig...click "Ok".

Under the "Startup" tab, look for any entries listed that relate to BlueOpal or BlueTray, and uncheck the checkbox next to them. Click "Apply" then "Ok". Restart your computer. Upon restart, you will get a Selective Startup dialog box...this is normal. Tick the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

Let me know if this stops your "pop up"...the screen shot will help me determine what we need to do in the registry.

wannabe1

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hey!

Yeh that stopped the pop-up, thanks!

The analysing program that found all the files etc. wouldn't fit on one screen dump, so I made it into two...hope that doesn't matter.

So do I now need to delete the thing from my registry? Will that get rid forever? Hopefully yes, and you will help me again asap!

Once again thanks a lot.

Tom.

Edited by kill_hXc, 15 December 2005 - 08:51 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kill_hXc...

I'll need to take a look at the screenshots to see what's written to the registry. Please attach them to your next post for me.... :tazz:

wannabe1

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I thought I did,
I'll try again...

If it don't work I'll give you the URL of the images on photobucket or something like that:

http://i6.photobucke...ScreenDump1.jpg

http://i6.photobucke...ScreenDump2.jpg

That okay?

Tom.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry, I can't read the entries in the images. I'll PM you with my e-mail address and you can send them to me that way.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's much better... :tazz:

Give me a bit to look these over and formulate a fix for you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
kill_hXc...

First, we need to back up the registry. Click Start, then Run, and type regedit in the "Open" box...click "Ok". Click "File" on the toolbar and select "Export". In the "Save in" drop down menu, select "My Documents"...In the "File name" box, type 121505...in the "Save as type" box, make sure that "Registration Files (*.reg)" is selected...Put a tick in the radio button next to "All" and click "Save".

Now, in the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run. In the right pane, right click on BlueTray and choose "Delete"...confirm the deletion. Collapse (click -) this key just as you expanded it only in reverse. Exit Registry Editor.

Navigate to C:Program Files\SmartM and right click on the folder "BlueOpal", select "Delete", and confirm the deletion. (Note: you may have to open the BlueOpal folder and delete everything in it before you can delete the folder.)

Close all open windows and reboot. Let me know how you fare with this...there will be one more step once this has been successfully completed.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 December 2005 - 04:26 PM.

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
There is no BlueTray thing in the registry right hand pane...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...e-mail me a screenshot of Registry Editor the way it shows now...then expand Run and send me a screenshot of that, too.

Go ahead and delete the BlueOpal folder while I look at the screenshots.

wannabe1

Advertisements

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Everything in the SmartM folder deleted apart from one file:

In the "Utilities" folder, a file named 'BTCopyHandler.dll' could not be deleted because access is denied; make sure it's not in use or write protected etc. Any thoughts?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the file and select "Copy"...Open "My Documents" and paste the file in there...just in case we need it... :tazz:

Download and install Move On Boot. Using this application, select the file, and choose the option to "Delete"...follow the prompts to delete the file on boot, and restart your machine.

Once restarted, go back and see if the file is gone...then delete the folder.

wannabe1

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok done :tazz: did you get my e-mail?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, I did get the e-mail. There is no sign of BlueOpal left in the registry. How's the pop up situation? I think this part is a done deal.

Reboot a couple of times and if you get no pop ups, delete the file you copied to the My Documents folder. You can also delete the registry backup we made at the same time. Then empty the recycle bin and reboot one more time.

Let me know how things are running.

wannabe1

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hey,

Did everything you told me to and now it all seems to be fine. Thanks a lot for all your help!

Tom Witcomb
p.s Is there any way that I can recommend you on here? or anything like that?