Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when i double click a folder it open a search not the window i click

• Please log in to reply

thaneth_t

thaneth_t

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was messing with file type in folder option. I click ok on FOLDER type and now everytime I double click a folder it just open a search window not the window i double click.

then I right click the folder and the context menu appears that Search is Bold instead of Open what should i do now? please help

for the solution I tend to use my System Restore to undo change but unfortunately my systemrestore just show a blank page. I red a topic how to resolve it but it's way to far for me to uninstall SP2 and reinstall it again with lots of drivers

so i did sfc / scannow and had my WinXP home edition to repair it already. but my system restore still give me a white blank page... now i fell desparate...

Attached Thumbnails

• search.JPG

Edited by thaneth_t, 14 December 2005 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open my documents, click tools then folder options, on general click restore defaults, on view click restore defaults, clise my documents, try clicking a folder

thaneth_t

thaneth_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i did according to you advice but nothing change.

i also go back to file type and try to click set default for nothing hilight but nothing change.

can i create NEW and put on new string? i think this may help but i don't know where and what program they use for opening a folder.

thaneth_t

thaneth_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OMG.... now i even lost Search program i Ctrl+f a side bar appear and there's nothing!

I'm about to cry!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can probably start with sfc /scannow then check how it is, if no change then run through from chkdsk /f /r until it improves

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

Click start then run, type
sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

If you are unable to run XP Repair

Alternate XP Repair

Use the last one, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Beyond this, it could be a hardware fault

particle

particle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, i juz encounter the same problem and i manage to solve it in 10mins.. haha...

i was like u messing around with the folder file type, when the same thing happen...

way to resolve it...
-------------------------------1st way (better but dangerous)

Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following location:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell

One of the sub-keys is the one which you've added. The only entry added there by Windows is the find command.
Backup the key to a file. More information is here
Now, select the additional entry (sub-key) and delete it.
Close Regedit.exe

1. You should remove the find command to solve your problem. But remember to BACKUP.
If u delete/make wrong changes to ur registry, it might spoil your computer.
*pls proceed with caution.*

--------------------------------2nd way (Safer way)

1. Open any folder/my computer (use right click + select explore.)
2. Goto tools -> folder options -> file types -> click on File FOlder
3. Click advanced, then new. THe application to open the folder is
"C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe"
I think your problem should be solved this way.

ok. For adding a new "command" that you can do (which is to let the explorer open the folder), u will actually add more "buttons" to the right click list.. here is the way to revert it back to the "normal few"...

To remove the extra button on Right click list. (almost the same as the 1st way. )
http://windowsxp.mvp.../editfolder.htm

Edited by particle, 16 December 2005 - 10:27 AM.

thaneth_t

thaneth_t

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
okey... thanks everyone who reply or just read.. anyway after i download Tuneup Utility 2006 and install. there's a function that only one click and it will set every system registry back to default which cure my context menu! everything is fine now

about the Blank System restore i encounter, i found this solution somewhere'"""" can't remember just copy "jscript.dll" from another comp that system restore work normally and replace it in you system32 folder and type "regsvr32 jscript" in RUN command Whallaa!!! my System restore back to normal.

about my search utility... i was desparate. so i uninstall SP2. and it's back.... i don't know why and i reinstall SP2, Checkdisk, defragment now everything is back to normal....

and guess what? every now and then i was blaming Microsoft for just one click and folder file type is changed for no good without any alter in filetype. GOSH!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update