Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

name brands

• Please log in to reply

tallguy6284

tallguy6284

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
[size=6]I was thinking about building a computer soon in the future and i wanted to make sure i got both quality parts and the best bang-for-tha-buck. Could someone please suggest some different companys for each of the components of pc building...this would be the first computer im building and any tips at all would be more than helpful...THANKS!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Seldom do i find anywhere cheaper on prices than newegg.com. Once in a while i find some deals at tigerdirect.com, like the new beige case i got there for $19. I do like buying fans and accessorys at nexfan.com. I also keep a list of stores in my favorites where i look for deals on memory, drives, etc. The best deals on hard drives is usually when bestbuy and circuit city are having sales. I bought 120Gig WD HD's for $29 after rebates there.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well together makers of the parts.

Memory you cant go wrong with corsair 9 times out of 10 they have the better memory at better prices with the best of guarantees.

CPU im an AMD man as i like my gaming and dont want to pay over the odds for a CPU.

Motherboard lots of choice, Abit, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and saphire all good compaines. Dont be tempted to slimp on the motherboard a cheap mobo is more trouble than its worth and they affect the systems performance siginificantly.

GFX card, Nvidia and ATI farm out the actual production and selling of cards but they are all mostly the same from the design they send out, some companies add better features and better bundles worth researching at the time, in terms of whats better i prefer ATI as they offer better value for money in my opinion as i like good visuals on my games and dont really care about having more Frames per second than is visually detectable, but Nvidia cards are good as well but the 7 series has a rather large glaring flaw that i would wait to see if they can fix before i buy. 6800GS though is a very very good card and very cheap as well.

Case anything Antec is quality same goes for PSUs by them, coolermaster, lian li, akasa all make good cases you want at least two 120mm fans or the option to mount them.

PSU antec like i said are always excellent and good value, Tagan is good and so is enermax, if in Europe i like Hiper type R PSUs as they are good quality good lookin and cheap(coolermaster in the states but the PSUs arent the same). You really really cant skimp on a PSU otherwise you risk frying the system.