Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Changed the video acceleration, but that had no effect. I don't have any compressed air to clean the fan so I couldn't do that.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's run a check on the HDD...

Click Start then Run and type chkdsk /f (Note the space before /f) and click "OK". This procedure is going to want to run on reboot so go ahead and type Y at the prompt and press "Enter" Reboot your machine. This might take a while depending on what it finds...Do Not interupt this operation!

When it completes and is back to the desktop, try your machine and post back with how it is running.

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Ran checkdisk...still running the same. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We've got a lot of stuff to check on this machine yet...don't get discouraged. If it went through the chkdsk that quickly, then your HDD is probably ok...that's good... :tazz:

Next we'll check the RAM...run this test for as long as you can...the longer it runs the better it tests the modules. Download MEMTEST, extract it, and run it. This will test the reliability of your RAM memory. Be sure to follow the instructions found HERE and it wouldn't hurt to at least glance at the "read me" file included in the download.

I'm putting together a list of updated drivers to download, but it appears that most of them are pretty close to current. We'll finish the other diagnostics first.

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Would you like me to run it overnight and get back to you in the morning or just run it for an hour or so?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you could run it overnight, that would be outstanding!

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
No problem...I'll run it overnight. I guess that will give you some time to work on that drivers list.

Thanks for your help, wannabe1. :tazz:

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
So I let it run all night and it got to around 5100% coverage...no errors found. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Mornin' Matt.F...

RAM's good...another one down... :tazz:

Do you have your XP installation CD? I'd like to run a System File Check before we start throwing drivers at this machine. If you have the CD, Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour).

Then download these Video Drivers, but don't install them yet...read the instructions on the botttom half of the download page as to how this download should be handled.

I've got to step out for a few hours this morning, but will get back to you as soon as I return.

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
I ran the scan with no problems, although my CD drive is apparently having trouble recognizing CDs. I had to insert the Windows CD about 4 times for it to finally recognize it. I have a Dell software CD that came with my laptop that refuses to recognize at all. Any time I insert it and up the folder, it's completely blank. I don't know if that's related or not, though.

The drivers are downloaded and waiting to be installed.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Matt.F...

For the NEC DVD/RW drive...download These Drivers. Again, read the instructions, but do not install them yet.

Then download these IDE/EIDE drivers...Read the instruction carefully on this page...you might even print them out. Don't install yet...we'll be doing these in a certain order.

Download the updated System BIOS, but don't install it. This update is only 2 days newer than your current BIOS, but it does address at least one issue in the version you have.

Get these all downloaded and let me know if you have any questions before we begin installing them.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 December 2005 - 12:53 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Got them all downloaded, but I have to confess I downloaded those NEC drivers and flashed the Firmware just a few minutes ago. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should be ok...if not, that's one that can be easily redone... :tazz:

You'll be pretty much on your own while you do this part, so have fun... :)

Install the updates in this order...restarting the machine after each installation:
  • System BIOS
  • IDE/EIDE
  • Video
  • DVD/RW
Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
The BIOS you had me download says it's an older version than the one I'm running. Should I install it anyway?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...although that is the most current version listed for your machine and is 2 days newer than the version listed in the Everest Log... :)

Move on the the next one...IDE/EIDE... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 16 December 2005 - 01:32 PM.