Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Ok I'll skip that one. However, the IDE apparently requires I use a boot disk. As I don't have a floppy disk drive, is there some other way I can do this?

Edited by Matt.F, 16 December 2005 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Read the instructions found on This Page under the heading: Alternative Flash process (no floppy available)

Then Read This and download This

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 December 2005 - 01:45 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
IDE said it didn't require a Firmware update when I ran it...moving on to video drivers.

I'm gonna have to go to work, but I installed the NCE drivers before we started this. Would you like me to do it again after the Video drivers? I'll let you know how the video driver installation went.

Edited by Matt.F, 16 December 2005 - 02:27 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Video drivers went fine. Still running slowly, though.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Should I do the NCE DVD drivers again? :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your DVD-ROM Drive working properly after installing the new drivers?

Have you emptied your Temporary Internet Folder lately? You might also Delete all the cookies on your machine and empty the prefetch folder, as well.

Then defragment the drive again...whether it says it needs it or not.

Does this bring and improvment in speed?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 December 2005 - 07:51 AM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Computer seems to be running ok right now. I have no idea what caused it to do better, but it is. Thanks for the help, wannabe1!

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Ok I think this is bad. I was poking around my event viewer and I found something. Under System, there are several warnings with "disk" listed as the source. When clicking on Properties, this is what they say:

The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Could this be causing the slowdowns as well as the error messages I was getting?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Matt.F...

In a word...Yes. A failing hard drive can sertainly cause all kinds of problems. Back up all your importand files now, while you still can, and plan on replacing the drive in the near future. The last time I got that error, the hard drive failed less than 24 hours later.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Ew. Well, I've been getting it for several days now. Reading around the internet, some people have had it for over a year and ended up replacing their drive before it ever failed. I'll most likely end up buying a new one before it fails so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Matt

Advertisements