Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

First Build Advice

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got my motherboard today (Intel D945Psn) and pentium d 820 chip with all the goodies from intel retail edge (215$). Any new comments on what kind of RAM will make this baby fastest for the money or any changes at all?

Heres what my choices are so far:

Intel D945Psn Motherboard with Pentium D 820 - 215

OCZ Value series 2 GB (2 X 1GB) DDR2 --- 161.95 (Price dropped 30 dollars)

Case pick #1 - 179.99 (with 500 watt power supply, for 129.99 same case no PSU, might go that route and buy my own PSU, but hopefully this PSU can handle my specs plus a geforce 7800GTX?)

Case pick #2 ---- 69.00 (or i was considering the same case in black)

video card i want geforce 7800 gtx i believe but i think the prices went up? Any recomended ones? - ill guess 450 $.

Power supply - i dont know if i need yet depending on what case I buy.

I have the hard drives, and dvd burners and cd-rom drives.. i think that does it. I might buy a SATA hard drive if the price is right and set up RAID. Any good deals?

Total PC price about 530 $ without the video card! Not frikin bad!

P.S. Any top of the line or good TV tuners out there? send me the link.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I use the happauge TV tuners on my puters.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are a gamer dont buy an intel CPU or no matter what dont get the pentium 820 it is the worst CPU intel have ever made it has poor dual core performance and because of the second core it has poor single core performance. Get an AMD system for gaming, get an AMD system in general over that CPU.

Edited by warriorscot, 15 December 2005 - 05:03 AM.