Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW Drive problems

• Please log in to reply

FireDemon

FireDemon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It all started about one week ago when I moved my computer to another room, I turned it on then went to burn a CD, but in NERO my CD burner didn't come up, so I opened up My Computer and it wasn't there, only my old CD-rom drive. Thinking that one of the cables had come loose when I moved it, I opened it up but they were all fine. So I asked a friend of mine (he's good with computers) to take a look at it, so he did and unplugged then replugged the cables back in. I plugged the computer back in and the burner reappeared in My Computer. So then I went to burn the CD, I set everything up, allowed it to burn and left the room. I came back and found the computer had restarted, I logged into Windows and got the 'you're computer has recovered from a serious error' thing. Now everytime I try to burn, the burner will burn some of the CD, but then the process freezes and the computer eventually restarts. Also, when I go to play a CD the CD will start to play, then stop and then Windows Media Player gives me some error and all the songs get a little red "!" next to them or the CD will play but will freeze every few seconds for a few seconds.

I'm not sure if it's related but after my friend had a look at it, my old CD-Rom drive started acting strange. It stopped appearing in My Computer and the light on it stays on continously. The light then tends to go out every so often, and the computer will freeze seconds later then when the light comes back on, the computer will unfreeze. It seems to be happening more and more in the last few days after I found out that the burner can't play CDs properly anymore.

Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

FireDemon

FireDemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, so I waited for a response, hoping maybe someone would help me out. Now I'm annoyed because the problem is getting worse and no one even tried to help me. I really need help with this, I just left the computer alone for a few minutes, come back and it had restarted on me and the message I get "The system has recovered from a serious error." It's driving me crazy, so please if anyone can help me, I'd really like that, if you can't, just tell me you can't and I'll go elsewhere.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

First thing remove the power and ide cable from the old cdrom, because it is acting strangely maybe its bad and causing problems.

If this don't resolve the problem try changing the ide cable they can go bad.

Rick

FireDemon

FireDemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for that... it's seems to be working fine now. I'll get around to actually removing the cd rom soon.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome glad that worked