Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Tabby

Tabby

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there all, my laptop is a year old and froze yesterday, so I turned it of and re started it. Only now after I have typed my password in and it takes me to the desktop nothing opens i.e. MSN doesn’t pop up and McAfee doesn’t open up for me to type my password in. If I click on anything to open - internet explorer, AOL, MSN anything it just won’t open. And the only time anything does open is when I click for the laptop to turn off or restart it either says that programme is not responding or cannot open as windows is shutting down. If anyone can help me please do as I really don’t have a clue what to do.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Please list the specs on your laptop... ie, make, model, etc. In my signature, you can download Aida32 to help you identify your specs. Also, in my signature is a link to Hijackthis. Please download Hijackthis, install and run the program. Please "ATTACH" both a start log and a scan log to your next post... DO NOT copy and paste the logs in your reply. Use the "File Attachments" feature below the posting window to attach the files.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, my laptop is a packard bell easy note H, I cannot unfortunatly download and run Hijack this because my laptop will not allow me to open the internet. I tried downloading hijack this onto my pc and then saving it to disk and running it on my laptop but unfortunatly my laptop would not allow me to open up C drive to open Hijackthis.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
If nothing else works and you have your files backed up elsewhere, the fail proof way is to reformat your hard drive and start over from scratch.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 15 December 2005 - 10:29 AM.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have loads of music and some documents on there - the music is the main thing I would loose as I cannnot access any of the files to back them up. How would reformat my hard drive? And if I did this would I have to load everything back on i.e. McAfee, I tunes Word etc?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you start up in Safe mode? To start in safe mode, restart the computer and continually tap the f8 key as the computer is booting up. You will come to a screen with options listed. Select Safe Mode. Once in safe mode, go to Start menu and look for System Restore... it might be in All Programs>Accessories>System Tools. Run System Restore and select a date a few days before you noticed all the problems.
Once System Restore is complete, you will have to restart the computer. Just let it go and see if it will start normally.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I managed to do a system restore in safe mode, the laptop restarted itself however nothing came up on the desktop. So I turned the laptop off and on again and went to the desktop and nothing has changed. I still cannot open any programmes.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you install any programs recently? How long ago did this problem actually begin?
If the Restore point you chose to restore to was just yesterday, it may not help the situation.
Since System Restore will not affect your data, can you choose a Restore point, maybe a week ago, and see if it helps. Doing this may allow your computer to return to normal. Note that any programs that you have installed "after" the restore point you choose may not operate and may require reinstallation.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there, I havent installed any new programmes recently that i can think of. My computer froze this morning so like i said i turned it off and then on agian and the problem started. I did a system restore as in safe mode - I did it to a date in october however that has changed nothing.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hi Tabby,
Don't give up, ok, we'll get this straightened out soon.

When you start up in Safe mode, is your desktop fine? Do you have any problems accessing programs? Note that all programs may not work in Safe mode.

Why don't you do this... go back into safe mode, restore the computer back to the first restore point you chose in the beginning. That way, we don't get lost and we'll have your computer at a better starting point than October.

After your computer restarts, boot again to safe mode. Go to Start/run... type in chkdsk /f then click on ok. Note the space between chkdsk and the forward slash. Windows may grumble and give you an option to run at next boot, just confirm yes. Windows will check the drive for errors and hopefully fix the problem you're experiencing.

Advertisements

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there, thanks so so much for all your help. I am going to try what you suggested I just have one question. When I turn my laptop on I have only one user account under the name Tabby, when I start up in safe mode and it goes to the bit where you have to type your password in there is 2 users there Adminastrator(i never created this one and its only then in safe mode) and there is tabby. When I go into the tabby user account it wont let me to anything just like it wouldnt let me do anyhting even when im not in safe mode - however when i go into the Adminerstrater account it lets me open internet explorer and restore system settings. My question is that if i restore system settings through the adminerstrater account which is not normally there will it have an effect on the my normal user account?

Edited by Tabby, 15 December 2005 - 07:37 PM.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I have just done that start :run thing in safe mode - I was able to open this in Tabby User however it said that " The type of the file system is NTFS, Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in useby another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? What does this mean ?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I had a problem similar to yours with my desktop when I upgraded to Windows XP, well, when I installed it that is. I found that the problem was actually a trojan that I think was hiding in my RAM. Not sure what happened to get it there, but that is what me and a friend of mine thinks happened. Once I got my McAfee installed, created a Rescue Disk, and restarted using that rescue disk, I have not had the problem since. I don't know if that will work for you, but it is a possiblity that you can try.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The type of the file system is NTFS, Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in useby another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? What does this mean ?

This is what I meant when I said windows may grumble. Just have it run after restart.

Tabby

Tabby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, I said yes for it to run it after a restart and it did it however it hasnt changed anything. I have McAfee installed but could it be a Trogan like that other guy suggested?