Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey people. ive got a dimension 4600, p4 3.2ghz machine with 2 gigs of RAM. My graphics card is pretty poor though and i've only got a moderately sized hard-drive (80gb.) I was thinking of getting a better graphics card and bigger harddrive. This would cost me about £250 though, so would i be better off just buying a whole new pc or would these 2 upgrades make my computer powerful enough to handle all new games. What i mean is, are there additional small things which make the pc go better or would a graphics card itself boost my pc enough? sorry if im rambling, hopefully you know what i mean!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll have to take the side of the case off first, take a photo of the insides and post it on here before we can say for sure.

Dell, to bring the costs down to the ridiculously low levels that you've probably seen on the TV, often cut corners on the systems in various areas, including onboard graphics, no AGP/PCI Express slots and generally poor components including the power supply.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Also, you're generally better off to add another hard drive and keep the one you have. sometimes makers, including Dell, don't allow a slot to add another hard drive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont have to take a picture just run sysspec to give us the specs, and then cpu-z to tell us what gfx port you have, if you are lucky you will have an AGP 8x and you can get an x850xt pe for it.